1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

At my frickin wits end!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mini man, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I have been loosing my mind trying to get legal!
    14000 lb pintle hitch trailer hauling 11300 lb excavator.......now company tells me I can change to 3600 lb tires.....that makes 16100 lb trailer....15% transfered to tow vehicle......therefore trailer is ok>>>>>
    Everyone tells me my 03 Duramax 2500 won't pull this legal.......look at 5500 GMC to pull the trailer...........................someone now tells me that the recommended towing capacity of the 03 duramax is speced in the manual only because of warranty issues and the truck will handle everything just fine ( and legal) as long as I don't exceed the tire ratings, GVWR, etc?????????????????
    WTF where do I get a straight answer ? ( ONTARIO CANADA ):confused:
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

in the US you would need a CDL License (over 26kGVW) to tow that.
  3. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

The license in Ontario ( A ) I have....just want to know if my current truck will allow me to be legal?
  4. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

ask in motor vehicle branch in your province.
  5. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

There has to be someone on this forum hauling the same weight with a Chev , Dodge or Ford that is legal or not?????????
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

He would be under 26K combined, so no CDL required.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Who ever told you that the trailer can pack more weight if you run higher rated tires is wrong. Unless you are running 235/85R16 12ply tires can you get a 3600lb rating. Trailer axles are usually rated at max 14,000lbs for single wheels. The only way your going to get the gvw up is go with a tandem dual trailer I wouldn't go with a triaxle single.

Now the other question what is the gvw on the trailer if its 14,000lbs its not going to carry 11,000lbs. What is the trailers tare weight it must weigh atleast 4000lbs empty so that leaves you with 10,000lbs approx. Now you say you put 10% of the tounge weight on the truck that will give you a total payload capacity of 11,400lbs. Your really pushing the limits you have absolutely not fudge factor there.

Anyway you slice it you will need to go with a gooseneck trailer then you can put more tounge weight on the truck. A bumper pull putting 15% weight isn't the best idea that is 2100lbs pushing down on the back of the truck you will bottom out the suspension.

I would be going with a 5500 with a gooseneck trailer.
  8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got a F250 and pull a 12,000+ skid steer steer on a tri axle trailer and have never had a problem.
  9. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

The trailer manafacturer ( Trailteck Saskatchewan ) told me the info....new 3600 lb tires changes the rating to 16100lbs....placard supplied! from dealer....................................................................................................................Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooocan I haul it legal?
  10. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Trailteck said 16100 with 15 % transferred to tow vehicle = 13865 combined weight for trailer and excavator.....soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooothe trailer is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!! what about the 2500HD? puling it??