At some point ya just have to laugh!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

God I love picking up customer's half way through the season...NOT! We pick up 2 customers about a month or so ago and both of their original guys quite showing up, we pick them up even though its kind of a burden on my guys and me. We did twice the job the other guy did, explain to them our billing cycle, every ones ok. Get a call today from cust.#1 "I got billed for 2 mows and you were only here once" ME-"No sir we were here on this day and that day, back and forth, he finally says "we'll I'm only paying you for the one time to bad" I say,"Ya know what, I'm so tired of dealing with people like you we're done" Cust#2 mails his payment and writes a letter cancelling our services so I called him to find out why. There is no problem with the service I didnt like your billing, "IT WAS INCONVENIENT" I said what do you mean, every 2 weeks is inconvenient? And to "keep peace in the family,:confused: he hired his original guy back who by the way stopped showing up in early August. There, 2 more syco's off my route!:clapping:
  2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I just had a similar situation like that 2 days ago. The long and short of it was I either made hus lawn look d$#n good or he was calcining. He also threatened to tell all my clients that I suck and to cancel. His lawn is as brown as can be. He complained that I skipped his lawn 4 times this season. 2 were in the contract. The other 2 were to accommodate for the longer growing season. He will be sent a letter that goes something like im sorry but I don't thin that I fit your needs best and I think it would be best for both of us to part ways. Its like a huge burden off your sholders when those people get off your back.
  3. kpyoung

kpyoung LawnSite Member

To tell you the truth, I would not like the 2 week billing cycle either. Just curious, why do you bill that way?
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

When we started back in 2003, I asked my existing customer's if they would prefer weekly, bi-weekly or monthly, all but 1 picked bi-weekly and its been that way ever since. I like it because cash flow is always there and the customer's see a little 50.00 bill twice instead of a big 100.00. My thinking is I would rather them see a smaller bill vs. a big bill. Maybe its stupid reasoning on my part but oh well. I actually wanted to start pre billing customer's but haven't thought much about it since spring, (too busy).
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't it cost money to write a check? Maybe the customer is thinking 25 checks per year is too much extra money. We bill monthly but usually only have 7 or 8 billings per customers per year. I'm not sure I would like having to send in a check every two weeks. It would seem like every time I get the mail there is an invoice for grass cutting.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I bill monthly just like the electric co., water, telephone, etc. But whatever works, as long as they pay.
  7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

contracts... get it in writing and have it signed and then you KNOW they understand what they are paying for and when they are being billed.
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

gotta love those clients...and this is why theres contracts!
  9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

No no no :nono:

No contracts..... "Service Agreements" :)
  10. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

picked up a customer who just bought a house across from 1 of my clients, the guy must have just moved here from japan, i told him we cut every 5 to 7 days, the neighborhood run 1.5 mil and up per house mind you,he starts translating to his wife, she starts yelling back at him in japanese right away i see who wears the pants, he tells me the wife likes the grass long, likes to watch it blow in the wind.....i tell him kentucky bluegrass isn't tolerant to that length, he says tri it out. 2 weeks go buy the lawn is like 8 inches long i cut it twice, charge him fordouble cut, she goes crazy, tells me next week, they got someone else......