At what angle do you sharpen your blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimsny, Mar 7, 2001.

1. jimsny

jimsny LawnSite Member

I have searched the blade issues up and down and all I see is frequency of blade sharpening, Grinders, and double blading.

My questions are:

Is the angle of the blade edge important?

What is your favorite angle and why?

What are the pros and cons of different angles?

Thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think we decided on one thread that 30 degrees is the proper angle. I never did measure it, but I did set my RBG to the angle of a new blade when I set it up. Not all new blades are the same angle, so the main thing is keep them sharp, very sharp. ;)

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

When you maintain the original blade angle you cant miss also you are taking off the least amount of metal each time you sharpen. Dont forget to check the balance when sharpening.

4. Kestas

Kestas LawnSite Member

I think sharpening by filing is superior to grinding as a way to put a sharp edge on a blade - at least for the homeowner. Yes, grinding is faster, but filing puts a better edge. Plus, you get better control on how much metal is removed.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I do what Eric said. With a dedicated blade grinder you angle will be the same every time. With a hand grinder you will change the original angle.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Started sharpening with a 7 inch hand grinder, last year bought a Fireball commercial blade sharpener, set it and forget it, nothing finer than a piece of equipment designed for a particular job.. keep em sharp..

7. LARSON

LARSON LawnSite Member

BobR

How much for one of those commercial blade sharpeners

---------
    B.Larson

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My RBG was $404 last spring, I think they are $416 now, delivered and no tax. One of the best things I bought for my lawn biz.

9. LARSON

LARSON LawnSite Member

Thanks Eric
    Where did you get it from?

--------
    B.LARSON

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

A.M. Leonard carries the RBG for $419.34. (1-800-543-8955) I'm sure other companies carry them also.