at what height do you cut your grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Tapr Lawn Care, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Tapr Lawn Care

Tapr Lawn Care LawnSite Member

This year I decided to cut my customers grass at 3" unless they tell me different. Last year I cut most of them at 2.5" but found that most of them got burnt out come august. Between me cutting them a half inch higher along with more rainfall we've gotten this season, I've noticed my lawns to be greener and healthier overall. I just wondered what height you guys cut your lawn(s) at?

what height do you prefer and what do your customers prefer?
  2. Tapr Lawn Care

Tapr Lawn Care LawnSite Member

ok, maybe I posted in the wrong forum.
  3. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I don't care if you mowed at 4" last year with the drought we had here in Ontario it was going to burn out if people did not water. My property saw no rain from May 15 until until August 21st last year.

As far as heights 3" for rough, 7/8" for first cut cut, 4/10" for fairways, 3/10" for aprons and tees and just over 1/10" for greens.
  4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Generally I like to cut a half inch higher then my customer like - but they pay the bills sooo ..

But I do understand. Most are bi-weekly and that last week it'll get kinda tall. Weekly customers get cut MY choice of height - 3". Really depends on the grass type though.
  5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Every lawn is different. Some are 2.5" and some are 5" (transport height) it just depends on the lawn. There is no definitive answer.

I cannot imagine a day that I could just load and unload and not even think about the lawn I am cutting or what height I need to be cutting at.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I cut my bermuda lawn at 1.25-1.5" and my customers bermuda lawns at 1.75". Around here we usually have bermuda in the front, fescue in the rear. If fescue I will cut at 3" if the lawn supports the look of 3", if not I will lower until it looks good (Not the best thing to do I know).
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Cool season mix grasses do great at 4" and grow like a weed when healthy but no one likes shaggy looking healthy grass so realistically 3.5" is about as high as you can mow and have it look less shaggy. 3" inches for cool season grass is about as long as most customers will tolerate. 2.5" keeps more customer happier but the grass suffers some. 2.0" looks nice and tidy but requires more water, fert etc. to keep it that way.

Many LCO in my area mow at 2" or lower. :hammerhead:

I refuse to mow lower than 2" unless it for a special reason such as over seeding etc.
  8. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

I like 2.75" in the spring bumped up to 3-3.5" from like Memorial day through Labor day. Most of the fall I cut at 2.5" and finish with a low cut of 2.25"
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

2.5" in the spring, 3" by early June. Really healthy, thick cool season grasses can look good at 3.5" and be less heat stressed into August, but frankly, I don't change cut heights for each property.... they all get 3" now.
  10. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

In Late fall and the first cut of spring we go 2.5-2.75," but otherwise it is usually 3.5." Around here, even with Irrigation, the turf is slowing, and dring a bit. I help care for 32 acres here, with wide ranges of turf.