at what height do you cut your lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by akgarrett62, Jul 18, 2008.

1. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

i currently just have a Troy-Bilt push mower, about 1yr old. it has about 6 diff height settings and i mow mine on about 5 so it will keep at a nice height.

do you notice this like i do?...i totally dislike seeing people who insist on their yards being mowed "short"...like on 3. cause after a few days, it looks like crap and the weeds grow higher than the grass...looks very shaggy and uneven.

i love to mow mine higher...it looks much better, and for much longer!...stays very "even looking", and the grass is much greener!

thoughts?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wish more folks thought like you do, this argument gets beat to death around my neck of the woods.

I cut on a 5" setting myself for similar reasons and just lost a customer over basically that (not quite but lets just say they don't 'get' it, they think I am wrong and off they go hiring someone inexperienced who is more than happy to do it the way they say it should be done).

They WANT a beautiful lawn and it looks like total *&%^,
    but the true reason never dawns on them, I will say thou
    it's not just in the cut height but it's in the entire
    understanding and the comprehension behind having
    a beautiful yard.

That crap frustrates me to tears.

3. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I agree with you guys, I mow higher on most of my yards and during the summer heat, I am still mowing several weeks after the (scalpers) yards die. Not to brag but my yards look more full and healthy. I have one elderly couple that want theres mowed real close, so I mow it at my mowers lowest setting without adjusting the scalp rollers and it looks terrible to me but they love it.

4. Jim8Nascar

Jim8Nascar LawnSite Member

I too agree with a higher cut! I use a 33" Cub Cadet ZTR Walk behind. I cut it at it's highest setting. The resulsts are a greener lawn longer into the season. I just tell my customers that if you cut it shorter, when August comes you'll have a brown lawn. I'm dealing with that now. I know the customers almost always right, but, if they did it correctly they wouldn't need us!! Ohhhhh.........did I say that in my out loud voice???

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Each grass type has an optimum mowing height. Centipede grows flat on the ground, bermuda even closer, St. Augustine like a higher cut. Our Fescue (I'm up in Kingsport, TN) like to have a cut around 4" or so in the summer. Much higher would cause heat to be trapped near the soil and subject to fungus. Higher turf does shade and retain soil moisture. During the spring rainy season (Yea, right) a lower cut would be better. You've got to go with your turf, season, and temp.

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, I cut most lawns at 3.5" - 4.5", I only go below there in the very early spring or very late fall. Had one guy who told me to lower my cut by 3" when I was cutting his lawn at 4". :laugh: Ummm. . . sir, I really don't think you're gonna like the way this is gonna turn out on your lawn. Needless to say, I now cut his lawn at 3.5"

Oh, and about the people that want a beautiful lawn, but don't understand anything about it. . . This April, I slit-seeded and fertilized several lawns. . . The one that looks the worst - $340 front yard job - the people have watered it maybe 5-6 times since April, despite my admonitions to "keep it watered" and "mow it at at least 3" throughout the spring and summer. They've mowed it exactly twice. :nono: Ah, well, some people just don't understand.

7. Jim8Nascar

Jim8Nascar LawnSite Member

I agree!! I am new to this like I said so I am thinking about trying to up-sell a watering timmer attatched to hoses. Telling my customers it would be much cheaper than an irrigation system and they could set it and forget it basicly! Set it for about 6:00 am every other day for about 30 mins. It might solve my problem of customers who just don't get it!!