At What percent do you mark up materials?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by From Dust 'til Lawn, Oct 5, 2008.

1. From Dust 'til Lawn

From Dust 'til Lawn LawnSite Member

This weekend I had a customer ask me to plant some perennials and lay mulch and what not....At what % do you guys mark up your materials...in my case, I went to the garden center and picked the stuff up.. so, I was thinking of what % to charge for that..Thanks!!!

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I charge the customer what they would pay of they went in to get it themselves and then I just charge them a delivery fee. I used to mark stuff up, but then you get the heroic homeowner that wants to go pick the crap up in their mini van to save a buck. It's just easier for me to do it this way.

3. From Dust 'til Lawn

From Dust 'til Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm thinking the delivery fee is what I'm marking it up for.....I give the customers the option to get what they want themselves or have me get the crap...either way, I don't care..I like how you put it...heroic...some do think this way...

4. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

I don't have a set rate of mark-up. A lot depends on how cheap I can find the material. The cheaper I can find it (compared to fair market value) the higher % my mark-up will be.

5. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

30% for me for most part what I mark up materials and etc.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't do plants, but on irrigation supplies, I mark everything up an additional 50-100%. I carry it around all summer, I shell out $$ in advance for parts... And they have no idea what they're doing. This type of work is very lucrative, b/c they pay for every expense and then some... and then my labor rate is almost pure profit...