At what point did you go full time?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Oct 6, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

How many customers did you have? What equipment did you have? How many years in business? I am trying to do some planning for the future and I am considering taking the full time plunge in about 5 years...What are your stories??

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Started out when I was 16. Never had a plan, started @ $10/hour, 16 years ago.

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I quit my job in late winter of 94, and started my company. I was 27. I never did anything part time up to that point. I wanted to devote all my time and enengy to the business. I think thats the only way you can do it.

Now I did have a full business plan in place way before, and saved some money to get this started. I also took my business plan to my local bank and sold myself to the bank loan officer to get a sba loan.

Then I sold, sold, sold. My first 2 years where tough, worked everynight on the phones selling. spent money I didnt have on advertizing. demanded every vendor to give me 60day terms on everything I bought. I worked winters plowing for my dad, and doing odd jobs. By year 3 I was buried in work, But right from the start I always budgeted in my prices for winter months, That way I didnt starve or need snow to live.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

went full time when i could no longer stand working for my employer (large national company)
    never did the part itme thing, never borrowed any money, never looked back

used pick-up truck, lesco spreader, couple of backpacks, and a computer on my sears charge card.

I did take on a winter job my first season

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Um, you're not John Kerry, are you?? :p

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Started this year part time. Will be full time in the spring 05. I could be full time right now but I don't want to use my company savings to get me through the winter.
    This is not my recommendation to anyone. I can't devote enough attention to my customers or the guy I work for. My wife is severely annoyed b/c I work 12 - 14 hour days. The only reason I haven't been fired is I run the guys 40 man maintenance division and he doesn't want to deal with the customers. I may still get my walking papers in November, who knows.

My recommendation is to save your money and buy the minimum needed to start a business and start selling your but off this time of year while people are still thinking about their lawns.

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I went Full -Time last year after 8 - 9 years part time. I had about 30 full time customers and made sure I had a job for the winter time helping my Dad in his Painting Biz ( could not have made it otherwise). I also do Pressure Washing which is a good service to offer and can be done in the Winter , if you can stand the cold! This year I'm gathering leaves and really pushing aerating. WHen I quit my job I had one ZTR Mower, couple trimmers, "Weedeater" Hedge trimmer, BP Blower, 89 Z71 & 6 x 10 trailer. This year I've added the stuff listed below.
    I quit my job because I was tired of working every other weekend & the 12 hour shifts. I've only worked 2 Saturdays since I quit ( half days :) which I don't mind). Hope this helps.
    Also Last year I took just about any yard I could get. This year I've been much more selective ( cuts down on the psychos) and not run anything in the classifieds. I've tried to seel more services to existing clients.

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I bit the bullet and went full time from day one.

Hard at first but by the end of the season I had 49 accounts and I was making more money as a LCO then I was at my old full time job

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I suppose I should have been more clear in my question...I am only concerned with those guys who do fert/squirt.

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Fert and squirt is what I have started doing anyway. Mowing grass is for the birds.(or something like that)