At what point do I ask for my money back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mac43rn, May 4, 2002.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I have a new gravely 1536G. I purchased the mower new on Feb 26, 2002. The mower has 12 hours on it. It has been in the shop 8 times since purchase date (I really only started using it in late march). I have had engine probelms (oil leak). Deck adjustment problems. Pistol grips not releasing. I have gone through 3 blade belts. That equals 4 hours per belt:( I have been through two sets of transmission belts, due to the fact the belts constantly slip. That is my recent problem. I took it by the dealer today and all he could do is scratch his head. He is at wits end as well. My question is this, When do I ask for my money back. I have been patient, but enough is enough. I have lost four accounts due to equipment trouble and God only knows how many more I may lose. At the current time the mower is inoperable (Belts constantly slip, and they are adusted correclty). How do I know this. After I left my dealer, I took the machine by another gravely dealer. He was very kind an agreed to take a look at it. He too said there is something severly wrong with this machine. Again, at what point do I ask for my money back?

Please help
  2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I would not be ASKING either.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm just wondering since you put this mower up for sale at another forum, if you plan on disclosing the problems you had with the machine to the potential buyer?
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

2 blade belts and 1 transmission belt ago...

I believe there is a lemon law. Ask for another mower. If they give you a hard time.. you need to get in touch with a rep.
  5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

one word, "hydro"...
  6. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

Thanks for playing Dad:) I have the list here for any potential buyer. I had one guy email me and I explained the situation. I am not that kind of person, if that is what you are suggesting. I believe I am entitled to a return of my money. I have really tried to make this gravely work, but it just not happening. When I was in the field trying to replace one of the transmission belts I called the gravely tech support number. One of their customer reps responded to one of my questions with, "Don't you have an owners manual?" Great response.

Take care
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

mac43rn hate to hear the bad news on your new purchase. This is Mark from Evansville, have you talked with barry about this yet? I think you said he bought one over to Henderson Ky for you to demo right. I do remember you saying you really liked the machine, Id be a the boiling point by now, they should make it right, but really i thank you should have the right to a refund. I bet you wish you would have bought that Exmark 36" down at stephens,,i went down a looked at it and was going to get it but after talking with him for a period, he seemed like he could care less, he started talking about his deeres,for being the only exmark dealer in town he is a pain in the butt. Well ill talk at you later, keep us abrest of what pans out... bye Marks Mowing Service
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree, i wouldn't be asking for any money back, i'd be telling someone somewhere that i was getting my money back. is this the brand new gravely wb 36" that was just released?

my dealer tried to sell me one when i looked at my metro. looks like a nice machine, have heard good things so far until now if it is the new one. only reasons i bought my exmark was it's on sale for 1999 vs the 2399 regularly, same price they are offering the gravely for i think. and the other reason is reputation, i've used exmark before and knew what i was getting.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

With that list of "troubles" at 12 hours usage I would DEMAND an refund...and NOW!

If they (the dealer) gave me any dookie whatsoever about it I would immediately contact the BBB and a lawyer about how to "light a fire" under the dealers behind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we buy new commercial equipment to become MORE productive...not to LOSE business?

Man, I'm HOT just reading about this! :angry:
  10. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I'd be telling them to get you another machine FAST, Sounds like a lemmon there.