At what point do you give up trying to make somebody happy

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wes92395, Jul 25, 2014.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Then the neighbor in turn will call the police or sheriff and file a complaint of harassment. Ignoring her like you said is good advise. Anything more could be considered harassment by the police.
    easy-lift guy

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I once had my client come out back to tell me something as I was finishing up.

Her: "Mr. Crabass from across the street called me to complain about you parking in front of his house, so just park next door next time you come."

Me: "Oh, I hope I didn't put anyone out by taking their parking spot - I've never seen a car parked on the street there before, so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem."

Her: "No, they park in the driveway - he just likes to complain about things." (said with an eye-roll)

Me: "No problem - don't want to cause issues for you."

When I was loading the mower to leave the neighbor waked out...

Him: "Hey, why do you have to park here - why don't you park in front of HER house?"

Me: "She asked me not to park here in the future and it won't happen again."

Him: "OK, but I don't understand why you don't park in front of HER house."

Me: "Well, I certainly wouldn't park in front of you house if I were mowing YOUR lawn because I wouldn't have room to work."

I then walked to the truck as he stood there shaking his head at my explanation.

The point is that I now park in front of the house next to my client instead of across from my client to ease friction for my client, but if there's nowhere else to park one day, you can be sure I'll be parking right in front of Mr. Crabass' house.
    Oh, and the guy at the other house even tells me to block his driveway if I want to get closer to my client's lawn. LOL

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

waving to someone who trespasses on neighbors property to talk to you every week is harassing?

4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I know you might just be using an expression, but you cant make someone happy . People influence eachother, but we determine our own response.
    Trying to be kind, and professional is important. Sometimes there are people who have problems, or who are unhappy, and they want others to experience the same thing, they want to share it. This sounds like such a person. Just follow the law. Here we can start mowing at 7. So 7 is fine. If its legal to park on the street, its fine. With people like this I try not to indulge their problems. Sorry you had to experience this, and pray that lady can solve her problems and be a happy person.
    Good luck

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Try reading the reply that I was replying to from the beginning to the end.
    easy-lift guy

6. ManuelMowing

ManuelMowing LawnSite Member

Agree with most people here. Unless you were blocking her driveway or it is illegal to park on the road then I don't see a problem. Unless you are blowing a bunch of clippings in her yard I wouldn't bag. Just offer to bag if she pays for it. We once had a property where we would gather the leafs up in a pile and burn them on the guys burn pile. While we were doing that the lady next door and came and said "if you guys catch my property on fire you are going to be in big trouble". My response was "if that happens call the police and we will settle it". She didn't really like that response and said "we always get a bunch of trash and stuff that blows from his yard and it always looks so bad". So then I tell her "I can't help the direction that God makes the wind blows, but if you are willing to pay for us to clean up more of his yard we will be happy to do that". I could tell that really pissed her off. A few minutes later her husband came down on his property and just started at us the entire hour we were there. I wish I had nothing to do but stare and watch a couple guys work.

7. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't read all the posts yet, but usually in these threads will be at least one newbie or general moron saying something along the lines of "kill her with kindness you may pick up her home for a service." True, you shouldn't be obnoxious to people for no reason, and you've handled everything the exact way I would have. Be a nice guy, and usually these things tend to work themselves out. Sometimes people just have a bad day, you give them the benefit of the doubt, and move on, with a smile on your face.

However, some people are just wretched, and she is just bitching because it's as natural to her as breathing. You don't ever want her as a customer, because if she's this big of a pita she will only be worse working for her. So now, you just ignore her, keep mowing, wave when she tries to flag you down, and when you're finished, just drive away.

The truth is, your customer probably can't stand her. Always be nice to the neighbors, but some people are just unreasonable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  8. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

shoot, I just tell neighbors its a public street, call the cops when they ***** about my parking.

they get pissy and go away then :)

9. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

I love the variety of answers ranging from try to comply to their wishes and mind your P's and Q's to lifting up your shirt and show them the piece you carry and to &()$* off lol.

10. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking too lol
    Posted via Mobile Device