At what point do you stop cutting in the rain???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Jul 11, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious....At what point do you guys stop cutting when it's raining? Do you cut in medium to heavy rain???

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on how far behind i am. i have cut in downpours before when i had to get caught up, but i try not to do it on showpiece properties. if i'm not behind and don't feel like getting wet, i won't.

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If puddles are forming on the roads..Im done

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

when the lightening is snappin' and you can't see cause the rain is pelting your face, its beerthirty.

5. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Or in my case.....The mower stopped running. I had to wait till it stopped raining just to get the mower started again then I started back cutting. I think I may try to design a "hover" mower..lol....Oh, if I were you I would stop when the mower fishtails around a turn...(the F.B.I calls that a clue)

6. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Lightning will get the equipment loaded no questions asked. I will usually sit it out for a while to see if it is one of those 4 minute things that will blow off and leave sun and humidity.

REV.

7. when the underwear get wet.

8. When the grass is mowed!

In fact I'd rather finish before it quits because it washes out the muddy tracks and drives the clumps into the turf.

We carry rain gear. Gore tex suits, rubber boots even rubber gloves.

Got stopped by a lightning storm this month. It was too close to even load the mowers. Around here most guys are killed by lightning while putting up the ramps or tarping their load. Whatever makes them the sole contact between the vehicle and the ground. We just huddled in the truck for a half hour.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

When the grass is too wet to be cut or the lightning is too severe.

10. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats usually one of the first things that happens to me on a regular day:rolleyes: .