At what point...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Blades Lawn Maintenance, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

At what point or how many yards did you realize that you had to add a helper, then another one, and then a whole other crew??

2. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say when you can't get everything done in the allotted time. And so on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

When i was tired of working 7days a week like a mexican. My productivity has increased atleast 75% since i hired a fulltime helper. Goal for next season is to have two guys out mowing 4days a week
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

In terms of mowing, I hope to be there next year also. We'll see though, quality workers are becoming a myth....

5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Quality workers are kinda like "Bigfoot". You occasionally hear someone say they saw one, but they can never seem to come up with any real evidence that they actually exist..

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't necessarily think you have to 100% max out to hire a part timer. I hired a college guy through mid August and it really saved my back (literally). Paid him a few thousand over that timeframe, but took on some bigger jobs that more than made up for that expense. Well worth it.

7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

this can be a hard question but when you are able to keep someone busy.It may be time I keep turning down new customers because we just have too much work. I thought about hireing more but it can be a pain I already have 3 crews for mowing And two for pruning.
    More workers =^%^%$***$$$$^%.

9. Fleur De Lawn

Fleur De Lawn LawnSite Member

I just hired a part timer. I can't get done with a week schedule so I figure I would hire someone for one day a week and pile more yards on that day. I will be able to advertise to fill my schedule up again and make it two days a week with help. I put an ad on Craigslist for 10 bucks an hour my voice mail was full by the end of the day. I hope I pick the right worker but with this many to choose from I'm sure I can find someone who is a good worker. I talked to my accountant with taxes an unemployment it will run me around 12 bucks an hr to have a helper.

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Today is my 34th straight day working. I have a friend that was bragging that he and a crew (painting homes) worked 42 straight days. I told him that I'll blow that away this year. I have soo much work outside of mowing that I can't catch up. I think the week coming is finally going to lighten up and I get calls for more work. I can complain.