Athletic field maintanance

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by KenH, Aug 15, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Does anyone have any experience dealing with scheduling usage for athletic fields??? :walking:

For example, I would assume it is not wise to have 7 days a week usage, correct???

Is it sort of trial and error to see how fast the speific fileds will recover from use.

We have a new set of soccer fields in town, and every tom, dick and harry wants a slot to use the fields. The concern is obviuosly overuse.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I work on about a 18 fields every week and each field is different. Even sections of the fields are different and can tolerate different amounts of use. How's the drainage? compaction is the worst enemy and wet fields compact much faster than drier fields.

BTW, what town in CT?

3. KenH

from CT

4. BSDeality

Looks nice. have they been used this spring/summer? or is the fall the first season for them?

5. KenH

from CT

The fall will be the first time they are going to be used.

6. BSDeality

Good luck, I would like to see some updated pics if you can get some.

7. KenH

from CT

8. BSDeality

looks real nice, good luck with the opener

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't tell from the pictures, but how is the area set up? Can you change the alignment of the fields side to side, or rotate them 45 degrees? What this will do is move the goal mouth areas to different spots and obviously spread the other wear areas around as well. If not, fertilize and overseed these areas more often. Based on your number of posts, you're a seasoned vet, but I didn't know if you had thought of this or not and how much say you have. Either way, it looks like a nice complex. Good luck, Marc.

10. KenH

from CT

Thanks. Right now, there are 2 full sized soccer fields. The upper field we will use as a full size regulation field, and the lower field will be lined to be 3 smaller fields for the smaller kids. The 3 smaller fields will run perpendicular to the main field. This setup will be swapped for the spring season.

Would you rotate the fields during the actual playing season??

How quickly can I expect the goal areas to get trashed???

I am the current field administrator, so I have a pretty good say on what happens.