1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Athletic field pricing W. Pa

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

Before I start I am Licensed and am located in western PA. I'm going to bid a high school football field this Thursday. Thought I'd share some of My thoughts. This is my first year in business for myself. I have done everything on football fields except bid on them. Anyhow, I am bidding on a fert/pesticide program. I'll be doing a little over the end lines about 65/k worth.

April/May starter fert (school will be seeding)
    June slow release
    Sept 30% slow
    Oct 30% slow
    Nov winter fert

Is $3.50/k? in the ball park, roughly $1140/yr

Grub control, I will be using a generic product called zenith. Same ai. as in merit. $50.00 a bag need 3 of them

$6/k comes out to $390

Since the school will be seeding this spring I won't be using a preemergent. They don't have a crabgrass problem, but if one arises I'll probably spot spray with acclaim. How do you bid out spot spraying? How should I come up with a figure if the super asks for one? I guess to make an educated estimate, I'd have to know my costs in material, but I don't know how much material i'll have to use, if a problem were to arise.

Please share your thoughts. thanks
  2. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

Here's how I would do it:

1. your cost of material per thousand multiplied by the square footage to be treated. (cost per bag divided by available coverage at your choosen rate)

2. Then add your fee per 1,000.

here it is plain and simple: **1 bag at $20.43/13ftsq= $1.57 per 1,000ftsq
    **$1.57 x application area (50,000ftsq = 50.)="x"
    ** "x" + your application fee is the cost.
    this should be a good starting point, best of luck....
  3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

its a public school? screw it, you dont need the headache.