Atlanta - Pinestraw

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by cmatheny, Jan 21, 2004.

1. cmatheny

cmatheny LawnSite Member

Where are you getting your pinestraw and how much are you paying?

2. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

ace hardware or the depot for me, usually small quantities though. $3.30 per bail. gotta pay for that convenience! the stuff we bought this morning was pretty nice straw though. how bout yerself??

3. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Scaper that's too high. When you get larger jobs you'll have to find someone to deliver in bulk. Get a couple hundred delivered and whats left take in the trucks.

4. the scaper

total, i charge the same labor price per bail no matter what the straw costs so it's not really an issue to me. thanks anyway

5. cmatheny

cmatheny LawnSite Member

What do you charge to put it down...

6. TotalCareSolutions

Scaper,
    $1 saved in the cost of straw x 200 bales = $200 in your pocket. Lower cost x fixed sell price = more money to you.

cmatheny,
    I always say, 'straw is a losing deal' profit wise for the smaller LCO. But there is a high demand for it and straw can make crap look good. Somewhere around $5.00 a bale is probably close. So you'll make $1.50 - 2.20 a bale. So for small amounts by the time you go get it and put it down your not profiting much, but you are profiding a necessary service. Consider it a 'loss leader' -or- a cost in doing business -or- a customer service.

Try to group pinestraw jobs together.

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't help myself ... I'm drawn to Atlanta threads like a moth to a flame. ;)

I get my straw from a guy down in Swaynesboro, GA, for $2.75 a bale. That's for the slash, not the short. He brings good, red straw, too. He'd probably be willing to go to Atlanta for the same rate. Anyone interested, PM me. (No, I don't get a cut.) :D

8. TotalCareSolutions

LOL

9. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I pay 3.00 per bale. Charge customer 6.00 to put it out. That's about the going rate in Carrollton. I do know one guy who charges 7.50 per bale.

10. the scaper

$3- 3.50 per bail + straw is a fair price. Totalscare- if you're only making $1.50 per bail i think this might be why you are "losing" on your jobs. try easing your fee's up to industry standards and you wont have to waste as much time sweating the small stuff-good luck!