atomic blades leaving strips of uncut grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN FOLEY, Apr 19, 2002.

1. BRIAN FOLEY

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

I have a 44 toro wb with a floating deck and i am using the mulching deck with the atomic blades and i have been seeing small strips of uncut grass every now and then especialy on corners but also on straight paths, should i use doubles with these blades? can i ? what is the best combo to use if this will help? thank you for any input. Brian:mad:

2. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

I use tohave the 44 rider of toro. Same problem think it is just in the deck design. The larger decks seemto do fine. also the 36" cuts nice. Bleive it to be just the 44". I hade same problem and tried different blades. Never tried double though.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You definitely may want to try different blades. These blades are just not the best thing for cutting grass, especially thicker grasses, as they just don't get the necessary lift as solid blades. Another problem of these types of blades, other than inadequate lift, is that they cause clumping of grass. Not large clumps, but just alot of small balling up. I hope this helps.

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I have had good luck with the Toro 540010 solid foil blades for the Groundsmaster. The Exmark 653101 Also works good on the Toro 44. Runner is right about the lift and clumping.