Atomic Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I recently purchased the Toro 40" Hydro and I am having trouble finding a 14" Mulching blade with a 5/8" hole and was wondering if the Atomic blades would get me until Gators were available. I have heard that the Atomic blades didn't cut as well, but I would think they would have to work better then the standard lift Toro blades that came stock on my machine. I am trying to minimize my blowing time trying to push the grass clippings into the lawn. If the Atomic blades are not worth the metal they are made of let me know.

I am also interested in hearing opinions on running 2 sets of standard blades if the Atomic blades are junk. Will this place too much load on the spindles and cause them to fail quickly.

The closest match for Gators I have found was a John Deere blade at 14" but it had an 11/16" hole. Without having a machine shop increase diameter of hole and make a bushing...I don't have many options as the mower is simply too new.

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Something I plan on doing this week is going to a boat propeller shop to see if I can get more lift added to the foil on my xr-7 fusion blades. Hell, I'll do it today and check back in tonight.

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

.... I didn't read your post too well. I thought you were wanting more lift.

4. cgaengineer

No, I need my grass clippings to be finer so they fall to the ground instead of sitting on the lawn...and I do try to follow the cut no more than 1/3 rule when I can.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

You didn't buy the mulch kit i guess.

It comes with blades for it and they are much higher lift then stock, I just realized this. They must sell them separate but I'm not sure of the mulching quality without the kit. It might be clump city if it's green and growing.

6. cgaengineer

Yeah, thats what I am wondering. I have yet to purchase recycler kit as I am having a hard enough time trying to find blades.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the Atomics do a fine job. Just make sure if you do get them, you get the attachment that fits on top of the blade. It helps with the mulching. I have them on my 21" and 36" WB. I have Gators on the ZMaster and really can't tell much of a difference.

8. cgaengineer

I had my dealer order the Atomic blades...hopefully they will come with the attachment for the top of the blades.

9. cgaengineer

I didnt see an attachment on the Atomic Blades that he had in stock...are you sure they are 2 piece?

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

The Atomic blades themselves are not 2 piece. The attachment fits on top of the blade and they are then both bolted on the machine. It looks like a miniature blade, but not sharp. Its not a big deal if you can't find them, the Atomics should do fine without it. Its just an added bonus. Kinda the icing on the cake.