1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Apr 23, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I put atomics on my toro. I can't cut anywhere near as fast as I used to. They are going on the shelf tomorrow, leaf season is well over, and i miss the high lifts.

Thought I'd let those who were interested know.

Did good for mulching, but if you cut fast, they leave straglers.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Never heard of atomics, what kind of blades are they?
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as gators and all the rest of the immitators I believe. They just dont provide enough lift in most conditions.
  4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

They are toro mulchers, pretty much. They don't have as long a cutting edge as the gators, but the concept is the same.

I experienced the same thing with the gators.

But like I said, if you don't want to double cut, or bag, and don't mind cutting slow, they are the way to go with leaves.

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Matt,

I found the same thing on my Toro Z588E.

But as a mulcher in the ideal situations thet work well, I think more sail at the end of the blades would help a lot, they are like they are missing the 1st sail....

I don't think they were ever intended as a speed blade....mulching is a slower process.

Have to tried the Recycler's?

I use these in mulch and side discharge, quite happy with them, I use mulch blades when side discharging for the only purpose of achieving smaller clippings, helps some.

Standard high lifts....very nice fast cutter.
    use these on the new turbo force deck and you can throw clippings 20ft.....this isn't desirable for me so the mulch blades reduce the distance to about 12ft.