Atrazine for Centipede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Dec 16, 2006.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Been reading a lot on the use of Atrazine to control winter weeds. Is it too late to use Atrazine on them. I'll be overseeding in May and was wondering if the effects of it would be gone by then. Lawn in in SC where temps now are about 65 and nights around 45. Thanks, Roy

2. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Roy, Had a customer demand i use atrazine on her centipede yard her in North Alabama. I had never used it before and followed directions exact. Told her would not be responsible since i never used it before. It killed the centipede dead as a hammer. I reminded her i had never used it and recommended other things. She still calls me to spray her yard but lets me pick the products.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Wow--Did you spray it while it was dormant? Atrazine will kill crabgrass that looks a lot like the centipede. I planted some bad bermuda grass and when it came up it was crabgrass. I'll dig that stuff up and resod with centipede around May. Also, I used XL 2G a while back soon after the grass went dormant around Thannksgiving. Don't know if it will do anything or not--we'll see. Roy