1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Atrazine - What to do now

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 4, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I recently purchased a 50 gallon spray rig and decided to try Atrazine for post control of poa annua in dormant bermuda & st augustine. The atrazine is working great.

I've been told by some other applicators in my area that they won't use atrazine once the bermuda starts to green up because it'll stunt it.

I've already treated all of my existing customers in early February with atrazine. Now, new customers are calling for weed control. As we all know, new customers don't call unless their lawn is covered in weeds. I'm tempted to keep appling atrazine through the end of March. My thinking is that even if I stunt the bermuda and delay the green up, at least the customer will see the poa annua die in their lawn.

Any thoughts on this?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. lawnpro1

lawnpro1 LawnSite Member

Chech out simazine . I think it has bermuda on the label. :blob3:
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Simazine has bermuda on the label. I don't recall that it will stunt the bermuda. either. JMO
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Potentially harming the turf for the sake of a weed that will die out on its own from the Texas heat is something to consider.

Although it is not specifically stated on the label, I've been told by at least one trusted fellow pro that applying Simazine after Februrary could cause problems with greenup. Again, this may not be documented, but I trust the advice of this pro who has significantly more experience. I'd rather not repeat a mistake others have already made.

FWIW, my January applications of Simazine wiped out the henbit but didn't fare very well as a post for Poa. I think the Poa was past 2 tiller stage. Had to go back and apply Revolver on my own dime.

I've seen Image take out Poa. Image also carries the baggage of being dangerous to apply too close to greenup. Corsair is another option, but let's face it we all know Revolver is the silver bullet here. It doesn't work extremely fast, but you will get results.

Here is how I plan to deal with this going forward. If I take on a new account that requires a Revolver app, it will be priced accordingly as a startup charge or renovation fee.
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

The atrazine is labeled for bermuda and it will wipe out the poa annua. Good stuff.

I think I'd rather have a delayed green up, that many customers won't even notice, rather than spray the lawn and apologize for not being able to kill all the weeds.

There is nothing on the label that indicates warmer temperatures are bad for bermuda. It's simply labeled for bermuda, and that's it. LIke I say, I've just talked to a couple of more experienced applicators who said they won't apply atrazine once the spring temperatures start up. I got the impression they meant somewhere around late February.

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

Hey DFW I really think that the atrazine will stunt or slow the bermuda only if the soil conditions are dry. Otherwise I agree you will be fine. I like atrazine I just didn't like how it is hard to keep in solution without a good agitator. I didn't think the simazine was near a effective as the atrazine. But that is just my experience. By the way "GO POKES"
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told atrazine was taken off the market and will soon disapear
  8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++I was told atrazine was taken off the market and will soon disapear++++

I guess atrazine used to be an over the counter, but just recently was changed to restricted use. I've read studies on the interenet. It's being blamed for causing hermaphrodite frogs.

DFW Area Landscaper
  9. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Frogs (some, I understand) are hermaphroditic by nature and atrazine can still be purchased OTC - just check the next WM you're in. And if you stunt the bermuda - so what? A lot of people want its growth slowed ...
  10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Yeah. This whole "restricted use pesticide" thing is just silly. It's only restricted if you're a pro and you'll apply it at the proper rates. But if you're a home owner who's going to apply the stuff at ten times the labeled rate, you can buy all you want at Wal-Mart.

We should form some sort of professional applicator's union and hire lobbyists to get this schit changed. It's BS.

By the way, I'm getting pretty good post control of wild fescue with the atrazine too. It takes a lot longer to show stress than the poa annua, but it is starting to die. Not sure if it'll completely die or just get stressed, but right now, it looks like it's eventually gonna die.

DFW Area Landscaper