attaching a trimmer to a mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davidg, Feb 27, 2006.

1. davidg

davidg LawnSite Member
    from ftw tx

has anyone ever tried this?
    i'm working on a way to do it so i can trim & edge while i'm mowing.
    i know that there was a co. that made one for riders, but my mower is a walk behind.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Your lines will be pretty shaky IMO, i think they are on the riders so you can drive around with the PTO off, trim, then mow, i think it is just for big props so you didn't have to walk around with the trimmer. Just my .02 though
  3. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be problematic. I stick to tuffin it out.:weightlifter:
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at what Walker offers!
  5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

For those big commercial jobs, developments etc I would say they would be great, though attached, I'd edge then go back over and mow, do too many things at once could be an issue, but maybe not.

ok, these units do exist, there is talk of them here, try the search button.

Walker sell one for their mowers.

grasshopper sell one for theirs.

these are a coulter disc spring pressured via an arm into the edge you are cutting, no motors etc, very neat. I was going to buy one last year.....then bought a 3 wheeled walk behind edger, kicking myself I didn't buy the mower attachable one for those big jobs now.

if I can find any info I'll post it, but I don't think I kept the links.....I'll check.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here you go....

I tried it about 3 years ago.

I took a day putting it on my rider, then spent another 2 hours taking it off after going about 100'.

The problem is, the mower deck goes up over a bump while you need to be trimming down, or you're mowing along the bottom of a ditch, and the trimmer head is getting in the way, or you're mowing .25 mph, because it's an electric trimmer.

Granted, this was 3 years ago... but from the looks of the pictures on the website, it's still the same setup.

I didn't have the "H" model.

I ended up dumping the thing. My dealer had one that at one time was mounted on a mower at a show, and the company never got it back, so he gave it to me to try it out.

I wasn't out anything so I didn't mind just throwing it away.
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

better clarify, do you want to trim OR edge......I was thinking you were more thinking of a attachment that mounted on the mower that had a blade for edging of curbs, paths etc.....

I think a string trimmer on a mower is not what most contractors would use, maybe on huge jobs where it is for under fences, etc.....actually, I reckon the one in that pic in the above link could be quite dangerous!
  8. davidg

davidg LawnSite Member
    from ftw tx

thanks guys. actually, i'm wanting to attach a hand held trimmer to the mower that i can take off and on as needed. there will be some areas of course that i'll have to do by hand, but i want it for long stretches of fence or walls. and yes i will make it to where it can edge too, unless i go with the disc blade sys. tony mentioned. it all might not work but im gonna try!
  9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Peco has one that goes on the mower and you can mow and trim at the same.
  10. davidg

davidg LawnSite Member
    from ftw tx

yeah, i tried theirs. it sucks.