Attaching Christmas Lights on Roff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNLC owners, Nov 21, 2003.

1. TNLC owners

TNLC owners LawnSite Member

I have a question for you guys who also do holiday lighting. I have a customer who wants christmas lights put on the roof. In the past I have used paper clips which have worked pretty good. This customer doesn't really want the paper clips under her shingles as she just had them replaced about a year ago. Do any of you have any ideas as to keep the lights on the roof? I doubt she wants any kind of clips up there either. Thanks for any help you can give!
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Try duct tape if you or her would allow it. I would not. But because she is being picky what else can you do.
  3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

LOL but here is something I know she won't go for. Use short staples. They will not cause roof to leak and are very easy to remove just pull on lights and they pop right up. I put out about 40,000 or so on my place and use them all the time. However, never thought of the paper clips. May try that as I am going to start this weekend. Will post some pics for you all when I am finished in about 10 days and 100 hours later!
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use clothes pins. Their cheap and hold pretty good. Plus they won't damage the shingles. I put up 11,000 lights last year and most of the fasteners that I used were clothes pins.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I use the clear plastic clips, they come in two different shapes in one bag usually, and work like a dream. I just clip them on the edge of the roof shingles, takes more time to unwind the lights than to hang an entire house, seriously. And to take off, grab an end and pull, from the ground, pop,pop,pop, they all come down in seconds. I have yet to find anything even remotely as easy, fast, and cheap.