Attaching the Green to the Sub-Surface

Discussion in 'All Pro Putting Greens' started by JimLewis, Jan 9, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hi, I just watched your Contractor Training DVD. Very informative. Well worth the money. It explained almost everything in a lot of detail.

The one thing that the DVD didn't explain very well was how do you attach the green to the sub-surface? In section 15, you discuss applying the infill. And let's suppose there is no fringe being installed. So we skip to section 17, which is "sweeping infil off of the green". But didn't we skip a step? You don't need to nail down the green first? What keeps the green attached to the sub-surface? Just the weight of the infill?

2. JimLewis

I would think that you would AT LEAST need to nail down the outer edges of the green, before you began spreading the infill, just to keep the green in place while you were spreading out the infil. Otherwise, the green would move out of place as you were sweeping.

3. Jim did you pay for the 299 training or just buy a DVD..?
    Thanks

4. JimLewis

No, I've only just watched the DVD.

5. Just checkin Jim...thanks...was hoping the 299 deal would be more thorough.

6. JimLewis

I am sure it would be. Although I thought the DVD was fairly thorough too. It left me with a few questions. Maybe I didn't listen well enough. I only listened once. But it is a long DVD and takes you through the whole process, visually, step-by-step. It's nice. I plan to review it before every install.

7. allprogreens

allprogreens LawnSite Senior Member

The weight of the infill holds the green in place. You will not nail down the green. Using the 1 inch turf you will need 5.5 pounds of infill per sq.ft. This equals 2,000 pounds of infill on the green - it won't go anywhere. You will nail down the fringe next to the green but not the green

Chris

[​IMG]

8. allprogreens

The $299.00 training covers install techniques that are not on the DVD. We are always improving our product, installation, and marketing. To give you an idea, we have come up with a way to reduce to labor of sweeping in the infill by half by using wire brooms instead of nylon brooms. This technique alone saves contractors hundreds of Dollar$. The improvements do nothing but save time and makes you more efficient. And that isjust on the install. The marketing part shows several new programs that are not on the DVD

Chris

[​IMG]

9. JimLewis

So what's to keep someone (especially a kid) from just pulling up the green then? Seems like a mess waiting to happen.

10. allprogreens

Even on a small green (12 x 16) there is over 1000lbs of infill. Two grown men could not move the green. Sure they could lift a corner of it but they couldn't move it.

Some contractors will nail down the green after it is installed for fear of a commercial mower running over the edge of the turf

If a child wants to damage/vandalize the green, I'm sure they can. Just like the water features you sell. If a child wants to move the rocks they will

Pets will not hurt the turf

Chris

[​IMG]