1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Attachments - aeration/power raking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Oct 15, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Do any of you guys run a utility tractor on large areas for aeration and or power raking?

One crew here uses a verti-cutter for there spring power raking. As my company grows - I need to be more efficient with equipment and time b/c I am getting more responce for these services from larger estates, acreage's, and 3-5 acre commercial biz.

All the stuff we have now is for the residential market. I do have 2 utility tractos that I can use but what brand, types, of equipment/attachments do you guys run? Tractors are 24 and 26 hp diesels - New Holland.
  2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Good question. I run stigas, they are middle articulated tractors that can pull just about anything. For example, I aerated a 80 unit townhome project and used mostly the Bluebird tow behind aerator with extra weights on it. Weighs around 600 lbs. The stiga did it. I also pull a Bluebird powerrake. It's a 40".
    Does acres an hour. Something I haven't seen anyone mention but I use them like crazy and they are fantastic is the Husky lawn sweepers with bag. I sweep the lawn and catch all the plugs and dead grass and it leaves the lawn looking fantastic. We also catch all the leaves. Don't know why no one seems to be using them around here. I do run around 3 to 5 tractors though. That might be a reason no one uses this method. You do need lots of pulling machines.