Attacked repeatedly by dogs today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marckxman, Jun 6, 2008.

1. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Worst day mowing today in my 20 years in the business.

I got out and fired fired the mower. Immediately 2 dogs were on me. Not that big but 50 or so pounds each. Very aggressive. Barking, lunging, nipping, but not quite bitting. I had nothing to fend them off with. If I had my Felco's I would have cut them. I was that scared and dogs don't scare me much.

All I could do was yell at them and try to scare them away but they wouldn't scare. I tried to get to the tool rack to find something to swing at them but everytime I moved they closed in and got more aggressive. Finally after 2 or 3 minutes, they moved on.

I thought about calling 911 but stupidly I figured I can just cut this lawn and get out. Half way into the lawn I get teeth sunk into my leg. One dog is biting me from behind and the other is lunging at me from the front. Luckily I was by the gate to the back yard and was able to back away and keep the dogs from getting another piece of me.

Now I'm trapped with two dogs trying to get through the gate and eat me and my cell phone is in the truck.
    I wait a few minutes and the dogs move off. I run to the truck, grab my phone and a fork off the rack and the dogs spot me. I can't get in the truck because my new $500 blower is in the driver's seat (waiting on locking rack to arrive) so I run back to gate and just get in. Then I figure it's safe enogh to at least go shut off the mower and they attack again. I fend them off with the fork.

Long story short. Police come. Animal control comes. Animal who bit me goes away.
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Any idea who the owners are? I'd totally go after them. Totally irresponsible!!
  3. Real Mayo

Real Mayo LawnSite Member

One yard of mine has aggressive german shepards next door. Just don't turn your back ever and a mower or weedeater coming at them puts them in their place.
  4. Digdug

Digdug LawnSite Member

That bites literally. I hate mean dogs. Maybe a can of mace or billy club on mower is a good idea?
  5. Steve357

Steve357 LawnSite Member

Pepper Spray!

Mace is normaly tear gas and wont work on dogs, pepper spray works on everything!
  6. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I found out who the owner is. He lives a few house down and the dogs escaped while he was gone.
    Trying to figure out if I want to pursue this. I am out an hour or so of productivity and I got the crap scared out of me. Plus I am really angry about having the crap scared out of me.
  7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You should not even have to think about this.

Find out immediatly if he has insurance and let him know that you will be coming after him.
  8. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have to agree 100% you should not have to worry about irresponsible dog owners and there mean dogs chasing you and trying to bite you every time you mow the lawn. I think the best way to teach these irresponsible owner a lesson it to go after them so it dose not happen to the next guy. Sorry you had to have this happen to you.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about this.
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

It's inexcusable to own pets that are only safe so long as they're penned. Take the jerk to the cleaners. Teach him some accountability for his lack of responsibility.