1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Atten: WDI Certified Pest Control Technicians

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mindless, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

I live in Northern Virginia. The house I own was built in 1996. I couple months ago I discovered termite tubes on the garage wall and termite tubes in the ceiling joists of unfinished portion of basement. Last Friday a Pest Control company treated the outside perimeter of basement and inside perimeter of garage (after drilling holes) with 150 gallons of Termidor.

Here is my concern...when the technician arrived we had a conversation while we were standing next to his van. I asked him which product he planned to use to treat and he starting thumbing through his paperwork. I flat out indicated as I did to the salesman/inspector who came out to the house to inspect for termites that I wanted only Termidor. Termidor was clearly indicated on my copy received from the salesman/inspector. I already had knowledge that it would take close to 78 ounces of Termidor to 99 gallons of water for a 0.06 dilution rate. (From my readings, 0.6 is the minimum dilution rate and 1.2 is the maximum). Linear feet to be treated is 272. In his van was a 50 gallon reservoir with fluid in it (not sure what it was). He only had two 20 oz containers of Termidor with him. Not near enough for the minimum dilution rate. He then left to pickup more Termidor.

As he was filling his reservoir for the third time, I noticed only 5 and 1/2 containers of Termidor used. He assured me that he was going to use 60 ozs of Termidor per 50 gallons of water. That would equate to nine containers of Termidor.

Did he have a solution of Termidor in his tank or another product when the technician pulled into my driveway? Why would he come to an appointment without enough Termidor to get the job done? Can I assume that whatever was in the reservoir was Termidor? What should a technician do if he completes a job with a product other than Termidor and is required to use Termidor at his next job? Is he required to dispose of product or can Termidor be mixed with it?

In the basement he used a solution from a spray bottle on the floor joists. Is the technician supposed to spray the solution on the mud tubes or was I supposed to remove them before spraying? He told me to remove them and I did using a paint scraper and shop vac. Removing the tubes exposed the termites. What is the correct procedure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

olderthandirt likes this.
  3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I could only suggest that you take a soil sample and have in analyzed. A lab would be able to tell you the applied concentration. Ask your local university's cooperative extension service.