1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Attendance policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowing Mike, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Mowing Mike

Mowing Mike LawnSite Member

I'm putting together an attendance policy for my employees. I would like to her what attendance policy's other have. How many days is acceptable to miss a month or a year. How many sick days do you get? How many time late before your in trouble? Anything to do with attendance would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

work when you want to.

did i mention i am solo?
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally like the "piss me off enough your fired plan" myself. My employees are told when they are hired that they are expected to be on time and are expected to be in good health. If they are truly missing days because they are really sick thatÂ’s one thing, but if its for the sniffles or from a hangover I will some how find out and it's their ass. This is one thing I am real strict on and haven't really had problems. If they are late to work it means I'm loosing money and that really pisses me off.
  4. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

3 strikes your out in a rolling 3 month period.
    1 late arrival equals 1/2 strike.
    5 sick days excused with doctors note. Set up a family medical leave or leave of absents for serious illnesses and such issues.

You hire them to work, expect them to be there.
  5. Mowing Mike

Bugspit, I really like the three in three thing.

I'm getting ready to get rid of one worker. I have bent overbackwards for him but he keeps screwing me. He has missed about 15 days this year. Always has some POS reason but Im getting tired of hearing it. I dont have anything in writing as far as attendence, I just dont want him able to file for unemployment after I get rid of him.

Thaks Mike
  6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Fire em.
    Call your local Labor Dept. and discuss it with them if you want but, you're the boss.
    Options, give him a verbal or written warning that if he misses again he's suspended from work for a week, next time he's fired. In the mean time get your policy in place and make sure everyone is treated the same. Have a witness for all disciplinary actions.

Also, in the short term, post a memo, signed, that a new attendance policy is in affect...today, a formal policy will be given to all employees within..1 month?
  7. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

3 paid sick days per year With doctors note
    If they are no call no show They are FIRED
    5 vacation days per year (must be taken during the off season)
    For every Min. they are late that gets docked off of thier pay and vacation time.

The longer they are employed the more vacation time they get. 1 week every two years. up to 3 weeks
  8. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

If your late, you get left behind at the shop, at which time you go back home with no pay for that day. Chronic tardyness, and you go home and never come back.
  9. Mowing Mike

Weatherman I like the Idea of taking late min from the vacation time. I have also thought of, If they are 5 min late and we wait on them, Myself and two others waiting then they owe me 15 min of work 5 min for each person getting paid to wait.

Thanks mike
  10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

My boss is pretty lineant, Im always on time unless there is a family emergency, traffic hazard, or vehical problems, I always call and tell him if im going to be late or something. He usually doesn't really mind as for vacation time, as long as the rest of the staff is still working then your good.