Attention Firefighters

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Chilehead, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have a question about fire pits/fire code. Where I live, the law says that no open burning may take place closer than 30 feet to a residence. I have a customer who wants a patio with a built in fire pit. The pit would be closer than 30 feet to the house. If one were to burn/cook food in it, would that technically be considered open burning? I don't want to install a fire pit, and then be called back should the customer get a citation and then not be allowed to use it. It would be built with Pyzique and would use the fire insert. Thanks.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact the local fire official or fire marshal, laws are different in every state, county, town and sometimes individual fire districts.

Kirk

3. Chilehead

I already did, hence my knowledge of the code. When I asked, "Does this mean I can't build a fire pit?", all they do is repeat the code. They won't give me a yes or no.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

When we've responded to "illegal burning" calls here (Raleigh), if the people were using it for cooking, we couldn't do a thing. Even last year during the drought and burning ban.

Oddly enough, during a certain stage of the burning ban, people out of the city limits could burn yard waste ONLY if it was within 100 ft. of the residence and they had some type of extinguishing device (water hose, extinguisher, etc.) with them. That shows you how regulations differ from region to region.

In my opinion, a fire pit would be legal but that's just my opinion. Go ask the fire station guys who would respond to this particular house. They'd be the first ones to have to interpret the law in this situation.

5. Chilehead

See my above post.

6. glaciator

glaciator LawnSite Member

I've seen guys slap a hamburger onto a rock next to a bon fire. The fire marshal said that makes it a BBQ, not a bon fire so they didn't get a ticket. That said, to limit your liability, I'd suggest that the homeowner decides where to put the fire pit and takes all responsibility for it. If it does not need a permit, then build it where they tell you. Put the responsibility on the owner to research the law.

7. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

well if the fire guys aren't giving you a clear answer, and people here will give you all sorts of different answers--go find another source closer to you. Either go to town hall, and ask the building inspector there, or go chat with a lawyer. I say a lawyer b/c if someone gets a stiff fine for having a firepit, you might need one.

Most likely though, when they just "repeat the code," the answer is "no." Gotta read between the lines.

8. Chilehead

Yeah, I thought so. Imagine me telling the customer that it is not illegal to own one, just be ready to face a misdemeanor if you use it. Stupid government.

9. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

yep. :)

good luck.

10. neckbone

neckbone LawnSite Member

the laws are funny you can burn a tree limb but if you make a 2 x4 out of it you can't burn it