Attention Gravely Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scoxx30, May 28, 2004.

1. scoxx30

scoxx30 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Im thinking of buying a Gravely 44 Gear Pro steer fixed deck.
    Im alittle concerned about scalping with the fixed deck.and quality of cut. I cut about 3.5in. But like the option of the quick change deck hieght. The gravely dealer doent think that will be a problem, but he's also a sales person. They had to order the mower so I cant demo it untill it comes in. How do you guys like yours. The other option is the Toro 44 floating, if you compare the decks, i like how deep the Gravely is compaired to the Toro. I also like the pro steer, just not the fixed deck. I just want to hear from somebody that has one and hear whet they have to say.

2. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

I got a 48 inch wb with the pro steer, and its also a fixed deck. My partner and I love it. We never scalp and the cuts are beautiful (but I sharpen my blades often).
  3. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

I just bought a ztr a month ago with a fixed deck. I thought this might be a problem but it has not been. Their has been certain situations where a floater would have been better, such as certain angles of a bump or hill. It does not scalp like I thought it would, for some reason I seem to like how sturdy and solid my fixed is and how it cuts compared to my floater.
  4. JDavisTexas

JDavisTexas LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I just bought a 36 Pro G Pro Steer today. I noticed on their web site that the sulky is not recomended. Anyone Know Why? I hope they didn't find out how much I weigh!
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a new 36 WB Pro G with the fixed deck. Had no problems at all with scalping when cutting bermuda at 2 inches. However at 1.5, there was some scalping as you would expect.

My own fescue yard is cut at 3" with no problems at all.
  6. SteveG66

SteveG66 LawnSite Member

Scoxx, Hope you don't mind me jumping in, I'm also interested in the Pro G Pro Steer. For those that have them, how happy are you with them? Are the hand controls easier to use than some of the others? How happy are you with the cut?

Thanks and have a great Memorial Day weekend!!

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Very pleased with my 36 WB Pro steer. I will admit it took a few times to get used to the pro steer, but it's like second nature now.

The quality of cut is fantastic with the stock blades.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have over a year on the 1336 ProG. I like it over my old Scag wb - the cut is more uniform, better power, better manueverability. I would by another ProG, but due to Gravely introducing a 34" ZTR rider - I would check into that first.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Gravely does not recommend the sulky for the belt drive machines because if you use it on hilly terrain, or in real wet conditions, you can tear up drive belts. However, the sulky works fine behind the belt drive units if you just use some common sense. Gravely is just covering themselves , as performance could be a problem in the conditions I described. This info. comes from a Gravely factory rep. I know guys who use the sulky with theirs, and have no trouble.:)
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I still haven't gotten mine yet still debating on what size. I was going to go 44" but then my exmark dealer said he'd get me a 48" for less, so that got me looking at exmark again but i still like the deck design on the gravely way better and the height adjustment is way easier then the spacers on the exmark. I'll probably go with the 44" gravely but with pistols, i tried the 48" with prosteer and it didnt feel very crisp, was sloppy even with adjusting the belts.