Attention Kubota ZD-28 owners .... I need your experience.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 6, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I Know a lot of you have seen my posts on here concerning the purchase of a Kubota ZD-28 Verses a Hustler Super Z, and I greatly appreciate all the help that I've received.

I have had a demo on the Hustler, and Thursday I'm going to my friends house to demo his Kubota ZD-28. I asked him today if he has had any warranty issues with the mower since He's had it. He told me that a hydraulic fitting had to be replaced about two weeks after he got it due to a leak, and that one of the blade spindle's had also been replaced. The dealer told him that he had over tightened the blade to cause the spindle problem. He didn't believe this to be the case, because he doesn't use impact guns, He uses hand wrenches. Who knows , maybe He's stronger than He thinks... lol.

I would like to ask the ZD-28 owners on here, How many hours of operation do you have on your machine, and what type problems if any have you encountered with your ZD-28?

I would also like to know if you feel like the 28hp diesel is adequate for the 72" pro deck?

I'm a home owner that will probably put around 100 hours a year on the mower, and I'm looking at spending around $8000, so this is a very big one time investment for me.

Is the number of grease fittings a big hassle on the ZD-28?

I realize that I ask a lot of questions, but this is the only way to learn. I also realize that the opinion of someone not trying to sell me a mower means a great deal. Thats why I appreciate this web sight, and the great informative forums here.
  2. rubicacher

rubicacher LawnSite Member

About a dozen fittings not bad with flexible hose. I also had a hydo leak at a fitting, easy fix. Well made tough as nails. I like mine, have about 240 hours, just keeps on cutting.
  3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I'll will try to help, I've owed my z28 since mid april 2004 since then I have racked up 350 hours with no problems at all, there is lots of power for the 72" deck, there is know hassel with the grease fittings, I don't think there is any more than fittings than any other z with a swivel front end, and I would rather be able to grease things. All things considered the z28 is a great machine that you will never wear out in your life time only putting 100 hrs per year on. as long as you maintain it.

P.S. I would not own a gas machine again after owning diesels
  4. webdrifter

Wow ! already two responses, and there's not that many people on line right now. I guess more people run Kubota than I thought.

I appreciate all the great info. The people that run these machines every day, are the people with the best knowledge when it comes to knowing what the machines can do.

Plus someone trying to sell me a mower probably wouldn't mention it's short commings, or tell me that it was underpowered even if it was.
  5. CELS

CELS LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have had no problems with my ZD28 thus far. Only 28 hours, though (I'm just a part timer). This is my first ZTR, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I've been very happy thus far.
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a ZD21 that I bought new in jan.2002. It has over 800 hrs now. We did have one warranty item to get fixed at 175 hrs. The early machines were built with a bushing on the imput shaft of the hydro pump. Well a few of the units developed an air leak on the shaft which caused the pumps to get air in the system. The factory sent a brand new transaxle to exchange mine out, even though they didnt have to. All the newer units now have a bearing on the imput shaft. Problem solved.
  7. webdrifter

I'm glad to see that there are some people using the 72" decks on the ZD-28 with no power problems. That was a big concern for me.