ATTENTION! Members Please Read.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I seems to be a strong belief among most of us that a little more emphasis needs to be put on the search function-especially with the newer guys. It appears we're getting an abundance of repeated threads put up when there is really no reason for this. i.e. "Is Echo a good trimmer", "Small gate-big mower", etc.,etc.. When there are so many of the same threads being put up, all it's doing is taking up unnecessary space on the program, and in the long run making the search function not as thorough and efficient as, for example, there would now be 2,3,and 4 threads that say the exact same things. Please! Gentlemen, (especially the new guys) explore and use the search function if you haven't, and together, we can keep Lawnsite as simple, effective, and easy to use as all possible. Now, I know that the vast majority of everyone already does this, and don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but with such an abundance of newcomers and so on, there is getting to be more and more "wasted" threads. Eric and other moderators, you can delete this if you wish, or move back up to the top occasionally. Whatever you deem appropriate. Thanks everybody!

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Good point!Search first and then ask.You can get more answers faster by searching!Its worth the effort!

3. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I agree. If you have a question on a product I am sure we have covered almost every product and compared them to others so you can easily find them in the search. The search mode will usually give you a lot more threads to look at than you would get by asking the question again. Plus I think people get sick of answering the same question over and over.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I might add that here is a search page to help out new members. Click on it and then save it in your favorites so you can always find it. It is also in the upper left corner of every page in the Help Registering and Participating. I hope this helps. :)
    http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite_post_links.htm

5. Ironically, this is one of those threads.

Personally, I don't mind answering the same questions on this and other boards that I visit. I keep files on common questions in my areas of expertise and then just copy and paste.

This is not some dead archive or faq. A message board like Lawnsite is a living community. The old should be willing to share with the new.

:cool:

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I definitely agree with using the search engine for the new members.

But on the same token, we have to remember that with all the new traffic we are getting here, we want to give the newer members chances to add their input also. If we were to just constantly refer back to older posts, nothing new would ever be added.

So yes, the search engine is a definite tool that should be utilized. But I also hope that when a new member reviews the search, they take the time to add their input to some of the questions that have been asked too.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I think thats a damn good idea Jodi.

Instead of starting new threads, keep the old ones ALIVE so that when they are researched there will be an abundance of information instead of multiple duplicate threads.

Is there a way to possibly combine these duplicates to help eliminate this currently??

Kris

8. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Okay, How about at the top of the Lawnsite page, say, in maybe a 48 point font (Yeah, overkill I know, but it would grt their attention)put "new members, in order to cut down on repeat threads please do a search on your subject first, than, if nothing comes up start new thread.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The search is a valuable resource of past
    questions and answers.Everyone should take advantage
    of it.
    But these are past items.The answers to questions
    are changing all the time.NEW METHODS,CERTAIN THING
    THOUGHT TO BE RIGHT THAT TURN OUT NOT TO BE RIGHT,
    Equipment quality changes etc.In other wds change is constant.
    But more important,if folks become apprehensive
    about posting because their subject has been discussed
    before .I believe you might be taking part of why this
    site is growing away.
    I would expect all the post to be made into a book
    some day of some form

We do work the moderators so think a bit before you post

10. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I don't totally agree,, there are many, many new people on here that could help us all.If someone brings up a common question...it is common for a reason, right??
    also in another year what will we talk about new equip.???
    come on..we wanted questions, we are getting them.
    one more thing...continue postings of this type and a lot of people will be intimateded and go else where. is this what we want....just think of what you are asking...
    Thanks
    Dennis