1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Attention MowerConsultant

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mindless, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I purchased a 20/52 FasTrak. The top center/rear of FasTrak I purchased is spotted with rust stains/rust runoff, mainly on engine and components in same general area, due to the metal enclosure which FasTraks are shipped from factory to dealer. Evidently dealer received shipment of FasTraks in metal enclosures and parked out in the weather. Metal enclosures no doubt get wet/damp from rain/dew and start to surface rust. Rust runs off of FasTrak on top of stack (3 to stack) onto below FasTraks. Don't know how to post picture to this forum but can send email of what I'm talking about. Dealer says power washing will remove rust. I opted not to power wash and take as is. (Power washing can sometimes do more damage than good). Anyway, I haven't had a chance yet to remove rust. I ONLY bring this to your attention so that Hustler is aware of this problem which precipitates from metal enclosed design. Oh, by the way, what should I use/do to remove rust?

Next, I haven't yet started to mow. FasTrak gas tanks are both full and is parked in garage. Opened garage door this afternoon and got a nice dose of gas. Apparantly, gas is venting/leaking from driver's left side gas cap. Cap is tight. Seems to be leaking around seam or grooved area on top of cap. Why is this? Can it be fixed?

Serial number of unit is 40519XX. The two XXs are numbered but this should get you close enough to approximate production date. If you require full S/N, email me with address and I'll send it. Thats all for now. Thank you.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Soap and water will take care of any rust stains, I will pass this info along.
    As to the gas cap, we just had dealers and distributors replace gas caps for units in there inventories.
    Please call your dealer and ask them if they installed the new caps before delivering your mower.

3. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

Use a product called CLR on the rust stains - it will take them right out!