ATTENTION!!!...Oil Recall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The following oils made by Coastal Unilube have been recalled....

Coastal 5w30
    Advance Auto 5w30

Both failed to pass cold cranking lubrication tests. Batches numbered 3295 or lower should be returned.

I thought I'd post in case any of you happen to use either.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Coastal & National are the cheapest oils on the market. I guess if you are willing to save a few pennies by buying that stuff, you get what you deserve. The oil in you machines is one of the most omportant things there is. These air cooled small engines run hot at high rpms. I only use Mobil 1 and Amsoil in my equipment. It is a bit more expensive, but I have never had an oil related failure. Just my 2 cents.

4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I only use mobil 1 but good to know thanks.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the heads up-

just a note on oil. i know that some people on this site are big fans of using cheaper brand name oils-but here is a perfet example of what can happen when you try and sve pennies on one of the largest components that drives your machine.

6. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

7. mosynthetics

mosynthetics LawnSite Member

I've read that the "dollar" type stores have oil that is out of date, returned to mfg, etc.

I doubt that the quality controls at AMSOIL or Mobil 1 all this to happen. AMSOIL takes pride in not evering having an oil related engine failure with their product. Before I converted my vehicles and became a dealer I searched the net and could not find any complaints (other than Mobil 1 users who dislike AMSOIL dealers - HA).

Check out my website.

Barry Crudup

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Personally, I wouldn't use Coastal oil if you gave it to me for free. I"m a true beleiver in , you get what you pay for.

9. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

I have read several articles before in several diff. publications and they say oil doesn't wear out it just get dirty, one was about amsoil. Anything to that.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/release/2003/12-03oilrecall.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    WEDNESDAY, DEC. 31, 2003

NCDA&CS Motor Fuel Inspection
    (919) 733-3246

Standards Division orders recall of motor oil purchased at AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts Stores
    RALEIGH - The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services issued a stop sale order on Coastal 5W30 and Advance Auto 5W30 engine oils, sold at AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts stores statewide, after the motor oils did not pass the Society of Automotive Engineers specification for cold cranking. The cold cranking test, performed at the Standards Division Motor Fuels Laboratory, is an indication of how well oil lubricates an engine during cold starts.

Both brands of oil are manufactured by Coastal Unilube of Memphis, Tenn. AutoZone stores carry the Coastal Unilube 5W30 brand and Advance Auto Parts stores carry the Advance Auto 5W30 product.

The lot numbers involved with this recall are printed on the back of the bottle just above or below the label. The batch number is printed within the lot number as the fifth through eighth digits. Batches numbered 3295 or lower should be returned to the store. For example, 12343295 should be returned to the store where it was purchased.

“Our Standards Division Motor Fuels Laboratory routinely checks oil viscosity and other specifications to ensure that products meet industry standards and consumers are getting what they pay for,” said Agriculture Commissioner Britt Cobb. “Consumers who may have bought this oil recently are encouraged to return unused portions to the store where it was purchased for a refund.”

The substandard oil was found the last week of November. Coastal Unilube issued a voluntary recall and has been cooperating with Standards Division inspectors to remove these products from stores. Inspectors have also been working with both stores to remove the oil from the shelves, but a significant amount was sold prior to the recall.

Consumers with questions on the stop sale and recall can contact Stephen Benjamin, N.C. Motor Fuels Laboratory Manager, at (919) 733-3246 or Winston Sutton, Standards Division Director, at (919) 733-3313.