1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Attention WALKER Owners!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walls, Oct 31, 2007.

1. walls

walls LawnSite Member

Has anyone had problems with thier wheel studs keep loosening up? This problem has caused the holes for the studs on the rim to become oblong and ripping the metel on the rim. I called my dealer to see if anyone has had this problem and they said yes that there is a bullitin up on it but no recall. they said just keep tightening them. I then called walker and they told me there has been some complaints but no fix or reason for the problem. I now have to buy new rims but i don't want this to happen again. I have tried loc tight and it still loosens. The bolts aren't stripped either.
    Also thinking about buying another walker any suggestions on which engine to get?
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

No problem with mine... What tires are you running?
  3. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

No problems here. I would get the walker with the Kohler 26hp efi. Great machine.
  4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

This happened on my scag but it was because the guy that worked for me put every lug nut on backward (the flat part of the nut was aganst the wheel rather than the beveled part) Make sure the bevele is in if not every time you start and stop or forward and reverse it is wearing out the wheel
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i say go with the efi if you can afford it, the 26hp should be fine, but they offer the 31hp if you really need some power. what all size decks do you plan on running or what implements?
  6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

you can't use a impact on your nuts, you must tighten by hand and torque them down.. i had the problem once and haven't since. i like the 20hp myself
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

in a pinch you could always add some "loc-tite"

yeah be care ful with the impact guns. I had a buddy trying to be a nascar tire changer on his car.....sheared one wheel stud and cross threaded another nut....
  8. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

his post says he has already used loc-tite. ditto on the torque wrench. be careful.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

my bad, its still early and my Halloween hangover is in full tilt...

it there enough space on the stud, you could always Double Nut it...