Attention Walker Owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Would you trade your Walker for a Mid-Mount Mower? If so why. Or is there a different mower you would buy instead of a Walker? Getting ready to buy a used Walker and want to make sure it's the best choice. Thanks for your input. Mowman

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on you costomers requirments. Personally i do not bag one of my costomers Because i use mower who cut so nice discharging theres no need to bag. Bagging is a huge inconvience besides the fact that picking up all the clippings are starving the grass of all that free nitrogen. If your costomers absolutly demand that there lawn is bagged walker would be the most efficient mower for you. But if you can prove to them that you can do just as good of a job discharging definitly get a midmount ztr. Mid mount ztrs are much faster and also take up less room on a trailer.<br>

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

I WOULD NOT TRADE MY WALKER FOR ANY MIDMOUNT ALTHOUGH A MIDMOUNT MAY MOW FASTER THW WALKER IS VERY VERSATILE AND IN THE FALL IT BEATS ALL IN BAGGING LEAVES.I ONLY BAG MAYBE FIVE OR SO ACCOUNTS BUT THE MOWER WITH THE DIFFERENT DECKS IS WELL WORTH MY MONEY. I WONT LIE THOUGH NOW THAT I HAVE A WALKER I AM LOOKING AT A MIDMOUNT TO ADD TO THE FLEET BUT WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE WALKER

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Mowman: I have spent some time looking at the Hustler short cut,upper cut modle with the bac-vac unit.I was hopeing to have Demoed it by now but I am still playing catch-up.I have artharitis quit bad in my hands.I have altered the steering levers on my Walker to have a solid handle to hold but the constant amount of back pressure still makes my hand ache.I'm hopeing the T bar steering on the Hustler will ease the pain.I also like the idea of being able to remove the bac-vac unit by pulling a couple of pins.I think the way the bac-vac unit mounts low on the back of the mower will increase traction. I like being able to dump the clippins with out getting off the mower.I think with the upper blade moving the clippings to the bac-vac unit that there will be less chances of clogging in the chute.The Hustler has less parts to wear out in the collection system.I don't like haveing to get under it to change blades.<p>I love the rear discharge,being able to trim mow on either side of the deck. I am spoiled with the Walker flip up deck for changeing blades.The out front deck is more visiable and makes mowing under low limbs very easy.Useing more than one deck on the tractor unit is a great idea,however,its a pain in the butt to change decks back and forth. I consider my Walker unit a high maintaince unit,I have spent a lot on repairs for only 1300 hours.<p>

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Gene: If your having problems pushing levers, you need to demo a DC with the VTC (Velvet Touch Control). The new machines don't even have any resistance to them, not even a spring on them now. I can operate both levers with my one arm that has the sore shoulder. Just a thought, it doesn't hurt to check them out. Sure helped me out a lot. :)<br>

6. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I love my Walker model C. I have had it about 5 years. I want another, but am having a hard time looking.<p>I have alot of different types of mowers and the Walker is by far the best.<p>If you don't want to bag. Open the back door a little. The delivery spout will evenly spread the clippings.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Indiana , I bought the NO-Catch deflector after 3 years of opening the back door with a 2x4 and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Give it a try.<p>I wouldn't replace my Walker EVER but I would consider a Chopper for some of my big flats and commercials. Add to the fleet don't get rid of anything. No 1 mower can do it all (unless your Larry) Good Luck.