ATTN: Lazer RE: Surfer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dylan, Jan 18, 2001.

1. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Lazer
    I was talking to an engineer at Great Dane and he told me that the blades spin at 18000fpm on the 23hp kaw 61" super surfer. Is this the slow speed you were refering to with the super surfer or did they improve the speed since you used it?
    What do you like about the original surfer? Was it how it handled and cut? They have several original surfers at a dealer near me that are demo's and have only cut grass once or twice. They cost thousands (3-4) less than the supersurfer but the tires are smaller, the dealer said they are slower, you can't change the HOC as easily because the deck does not float, the deck does not look to be reinforced or have rollers and the list of differences goes on.

2. JOE C

JOE C LawnSite Member

I WORK FOR A OUTDOOR POWER STORE AND WE SOLD THE GREAT DANE LINE. WE HAVE SINCE DROPPED THE LINE. THE SURFER IS A GOOD MACHINE, IT'S VERY DURABLE AND DOES NOT HAVE ALOT OF BREAK DOWNS. THE SUPER SURFER IS A DIFFERENT STORY. WE SOLD ONE SUPER SURFER AND THE GUY WHO BOUGHT IT HAD MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH IT. GREAT DANE CAME OUT WITH ABOUT SIX UPDATES THAT HAD TO BE DONE TO THE MACHINE TO IMPROVE IT'S PERFORMANCE. I WOULD CERTAINLY RECOMMEND THE SURFER OVER THE SUPER SURFER. GOOD CONCEPT ON THE SUPER SURFER, BUT IT COULD OF BEN ENGINEERED ALOT BETTER THEN IT WAS.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Even if the post was all caps, he's right on.

4. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Joe! You buddy here with the only Super Surfer you sold. I must admit that the dealer was very accomodating throughout the whole ordeal with all the breakdowns. I still think that the Super Surfer has it's place. If you were still selling them, I would probably consider another one. What I really think happened was that I was sold a prototype model. Think about it, the customers and dealers bear most of the cost of the testing. Dane Scag really is a good businessman. Hopefully nobody was killed or maimed.