Attn: Runner... ? about Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Runner, I did a search on Feldamn Aerators and noticed you use one. My question is, Were did you get it. I found this one. But I want to make sure there isnt a better place to order. I seen another guy say he only paid around $300. But he isnt an active member, so I cant get ahold of him. The one in the link is $500 delivered.

Anyone else that has Info. Feel free to reply.

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the one. The 48W. That's the tow behind version. For the money, it's a great aerator. 1/3 the cost of a Classen, the same one that Lesco uses. It's not the same quality as a Classen, but it's not 1500 bucks, either. For the money, this thing is built well, and has grease zerks everywhere.;) Heavy duty, and I use tubesand bags for weight on it. (5 - 70# bags.) I'm not exactly sure, but I think this thing was like 4 something, when I bought it some years ago. Don't be fooled by ones that are much cheaper, because there are aLOT of them. Companies like Tracvac and Brinley make some. Sort of the "Home Depot Specials".

3. Soupy

Thanks Runner... I have been thinking about this unit for about a month now. I keep changeing my mind about buying it. But now that I have your endorcement, I'm getting it. better not fall apart on me :) , Just kidding. From reading your post, I have nothing but respect for you and your opinions.

Thanks,
    Soupy

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Why, Thank you. That is the greatest compliment anyone could recieve! EsPECially coming from another member.:blush:

5. Soupy

Your welcome... Now don't go getting terried (sp) eyed on me :) I'll let you know how everythings works out after I get it. I'm not going to order it untill Monday. I have to get to the bank and transfer some money first.

Now I'm wondering if I should use my Dixie to pull this thing or use my dads craftsman tractor. Last fall I used my dixie to pull a rented Ryan Aerator that weighed about 500#'s and this spring I had to rebuild my T-Box. I'm kinda wondering if that had any effect on it. I did hear the hydro whine a little when I pulled it.

Thanks again,
    Soupy

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner,
    I was wondering how difficult it is to raise the transport wheels, when you have 350lbs. of ballast on the aerator?? I looked at specs. and 200lbs. is their recommended maximum ballast. Do you need to add 350 to get it to go in the ground enough?? How do you get all 5 of the 70lb. tubesand bags on the weight tray?? Did you build taller sides for the tray?? Do you think it would be possible to rig a hydraulic lift to pick it up?? What do you pull yours with?? Do you think I can pull it w/ my 23hp. Lazer Z HP?? Any response would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, ED

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a feldman about 5 years ago and it works great. Only problem is getting it into small areas...you really need a walk behind aerator for that. I measured the weight tray (two seperate sections), and then built 2 forms out of 2x4's with the same inside dimensions as the weight trays. Filled each form with a 80 lb. bag of sakrete and inserted bent re-bar handles in the cement for a lifting handle. I simply put these weights on the feldman (160 lbs. total), and put a bungee strap over each to keep them from bouncing. Works great and provides good penetration. My feldman isn't 48", I am guessing it is the 40".

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

9. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

Hey Runner, everyone seems to value your opinion, so i called and ordered the $499.00 aerator. now i have someone to blame if i don't like it, i love to blame other people when i mess up

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I'm just speaking from MY experience with them. I didn't make them, just use one. YOU are the one that opted to order one and YOU had several different options when you did this. I also value highly the quality of Exmark mowers, but there have been a few not so good experiences with some of this equipment. I hope everyone will not blame ME for THAT too!:eek: