attracting commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DK lawn care, Oct 30, 2007.

1. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

How do u guys usually attract commercial accounts?

2. flxinxj

flxinxj LawnSite Member

I was told to find some place I wanted to bid on and just call. Ask if they are accepting new bids for the year. Try to find out who you need to talk to at that company. Call property management companies. I’m in the process of doing this now.

3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I have come across....Its not like Residentials, where they call you.

For the few commercial's I have, I've had to call them, and ask if they are accepting bids.

4. DK lawn care

thanks, where do u guys go to look for com accounts? stuffdeer, how many do u have?

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

DK, not sure if this applies to you or not but just thought I would through it out there for others who are considering breaking into the commercial market.

Anyone seeking to work in the commercial market needs to understand that until you are licensed and insured those companies are not going to give you the time of day.

Commercial owners are going to want to write off your services as a business tax expence for themselves and if you are not licensed and don't have a tax ID# then they have no way to write off the service.

Also if you do not carry liability insurance then all of your liability falls on the shoulders of the commercial property owner and I don't think you'll find any of them willing to take on your risk.

After you have those items in place then you can start making phone calls, sending letters or doing walk-ins.

6. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

You definately need liability insurance @ 500,000 or more. You will get more attention if you supply more survices than mowing. Person to person contact at the right time will have better results. Lowball pricing will scare potential customers away as will rediculously high bids. Bring a professional, itemized bid sheet. A portfolio with quality pics or good references during an interview helps as well.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody else is doing it:

will_work_for_food_-_gif.gif

BumCodeSMD.jpg

9781587367540.jpg

will-work-for-food.jpg

8. DK lawn care

Why do u say low prices will scare ppl away?

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Because if you're offering to do it for nothing, they know that you have no idea what you're doing, and that you'll likely do a crummy job and be un-reliable.

As was said, if you don't have a license or seller's permit and likely 1 Mil+ liability insurance, you'll get laughed out the door.

10. DK lawn care

That makes more sense thanks fiveoboy1