1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

attracting new business questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haynestotallawn, Jun 3, 2002.

1. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

Hello all,

Since it's June now and starting to get a little warm down here in South Carolina, I was wondering if now is a good time to put out more flyers for jobs. Most people hate cutting grass in the heat, so my thinking is this, since the ones who chose to do it on their own have now had to deal with this heat for a couple of weeks, wouldn't now be a good time to send them a flyer making mention of the heat, time saved, not having to deal with insects, etc.? Looking forward to your replys.
  2. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Haynes, I don't see why it wouldn't hurt..... I just recently put my ad in the weekly paper to garner more customers....... I could of done it back in march and april but lots of LCO's run ads at that time and I find you don't get good results and few phonecalls unless you are in aphabetical order and your ad starts with an A or B...... By now most LCO's are booked up solid and discontinue thier ads for the season, this is the time I put my ad in and I'll run it all summer and stop it in september...... I get very good customers this way and some bad, but There are few other LCO's running ads and I run one ad saying "Aeration and Lawn Mowing Services, Medium to large yards, Serving Central, North Kitsap & Bainbridge Island. XXX_XXXX

I find this has always given me good business, I just signed on a customer today for weekly mowing at $76.00 a week and a onetime clean up at $228.00. He let go of his current LCO because the guy wasn't doing a very good job and was doing a 1/3 acre property with a 21" self propelled for $50.00 a visit. Not very smart. And the guy just didn't understand english very well.

By the way, I used to live in charleston and mowed yards there and remember the heat....... I used to be a greenskeeper on kiawah Island back in the mid 80"s
  3. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

If you've lived in Charleston then you know what I mean about the heat and humidity, it'll be 95 here today with a heat index of 106.

I like your idea about running the ad also, I just think people have had enough time to know if the LCO they are using is going to work out (scrubs/lowballers) or if they really want to cut grass in this heat, now plenty of people will pull weeds for 20 minutes out of a flower bed, but put them pushing a mower on a big yard or a small yard for that matter and then that's a whole nother story.
  4. Jim Clark

Jim Clark LawnSite Member

$76 for 1/3 acre! I pay $75 per cut for 1.9 acres! Sheesh, hope my guy doesn't visit this forum, LOL! AND the cut is "reasonable" quality.