atv fertilizer spreader

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by WarEagleCRL, Feb 23, 2006.

1. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

anyone on here use one? The most common one i'm finding (forestry suppliers or northern tools) is an earthway. They suck, i'll never buy earthway again. Most of the ones I see are seed spreaders, and I'm worried theres no way to calibrate them, like there either wide open or off. There's one called bumper buddy that holds 100 lbs and mounts on the rack. Looks like it'd be alright. Anyone have one? I can get a new one for $160. Recommend another one?

2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bumper buddy. It is a few years old. I would think it would be hard to calibrate for fert use. I use mine in the winter for spreading salt on the back of the atv. There are better choices out there.

3. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

any recommendations? I've done a search on this, not real helpful. Some said the spyker was good, but it's $875! I'm all about getting good equipment. After THREE earthways (junk) I finally got a lesco. Lesson learned! But I cant justify spending $875. I dont have a problem spending over 300 for the lesco model but it doesnt look that good. Anyone have that model or any other one that youre happy with? Does no one use an atv?

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have used lesco spreaders for over 20 yrs and have nothing but good things to say about them. their truckster model is basically the same as the push behinds but I don't think it comes with a stainless steel frame. for the money the lesco is probably your best bet!

5. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

wareagle-

I used Moultries spreader, and it worked wonders doing erosion control.

Look in Cabelas etc....

War Damn Eagle...

6. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

7. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

I was considering one of the atv spreaders also but didn't know that there was a calibration problem. What exactly is happens that causes the problem? Cable stretch? Hard to maintain same travel speed? Something else? Please let me know.

8. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Once I got it callibrated I put a notch on the adjuster and put the type fert I was spreading. I set the throttle to run 4mph. Every granual was different size so I had to callibrate 6 different settings. It has been very close to the same every time. The problem happens when a clump gets down to the gate and won't flow right. There is nothing in the hopper to break it up. I also wash it every time I use it, nothing is stainless steel in it. I still like it, and calibrate every time I change fertilizers. It holds almost 100 ponds, but going over curbs will spill it out if you aren't carefull.

9. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help Luvs2Play. It sounds like a bit of a hassle but well worth the effort. I will buy one and give it a try for the granule apps.

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a Lesco truckster spreader last year. It works great & would buy another one. The two things that I don't like are that the motor is not waterproof which I fixed with some silicone seal. The other problem is that the frame is not stainless steel. It is my second Lesco spreader and overall I am very happy with them.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn Care