ATV For aerating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Jan 12, 2003.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

Anyone thought of using an ATV with a 3 point aerater? I have been looking at this for large jobs. If a guy were to put turf tires on a polaris sportsman and their 3 pont hitch it think it would make a great combo.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an atv and tried to use it with a tow behind aerator. The turning radius on atv's is not very good. With a three point hitch it would make it easier, but you will be doing a lot of backing up-pulling up-backing up to get the next row of plugs.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

hope your polaris is better than mine.i'm pretty stout but that polaris gets heavy pushin it,i couldn't imagine pushin it with aerater behind!:mad:

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I know of somebody who uses an ATV to pull an aerator. I believe he pulls a 48" classes. You can tell a house that he has aerated, because the lawn is all torn up from the tires. :( I would NEVER recomend this person for any lawn care.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

talk to Ray (Kirbyslawn) he has one

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried it with mine last spring and agree with above statements. poor turning radius, backing up is a trip!, and turf tires are definitely needed. I went back to wb style aerators

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't think of doing that around here. Customers would go crazy asking why you are running "non-lawn" equipment on their property. I agree that the wide under inflated tires on an ATV would be great but the turning radius is awful on them. Walk behind or pull behind for me.

Gravely_Man

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't use an ATV, but I do use a diesel Gator. I tow a Lesco 42", with about 350lbs on it. It works great. Plus the Gator can haul mulch, wood, and lots of other things.

9. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

I use my ATV for pulling a tow type fertilizer spreader on some of my bigger ( 3+ acres fairly wide open) properties where turning radius (with the broadcast swath of the spreader) isn't an issue.
    We also purchased a Club Car golf cart from a local auction, took off the club rack, put our logo on, and built a little dump box. It has turned into one of the handiest vehicles on our bigger properties. We use it extensively for planting bed maintenance, garbage pick up, transporting lawn mowers & weed eaters to areas where we can't use the bigger equipment, at the fraction of the cost of a purpose built (ie gator or mule etc.) vehicle. Plus it's fun to drive ! :D