ATV Pressure Regulator

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by RAlmaroad, Sep 23, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey All:
    I'm trying to work out a more even pattern with an 1.8 gpm ATV boom sprayer from Tractor supply. It needs some type of regulator that will control the pump. Got any ideas on name of a good regulator. Set up is nice and jets cover 8'-9' with about a 15" overlap but the pump kicks off and a empty section is seen until the pump kicks back in. It would be nice if I could get it regulated to kick in at 29psig and stay there.
    Anyone else familiar with these setup that might have a solution for the pressure problem?
    Thanks

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

If you add a "T" in the feed line to the boom and run a return hose to the tank with a shut off valve, then you can kinda control pressure. The extra fluid just flowing back to tank could be enough to keep the pump running. Partially closing the valve will raise the pressure. This is the el cheapo way off doing it.

Scott

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

To me it sounds like you have a pressure switch in the circuit. It kicks off when pressure rises. Get rid of it or bypass it. The pump must run all the time. Then get an ordinary pressure regulator valve available at Tractor Supply Co and used on almost all sprayers. About 7 bucks. It will bypass the excess flow back to the tank. Same as your big sprayer. Adjust pressure to suit.

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

Thanks Riggs and I check it out.
    Thanks Ric and I did a search prior the post and read through most of them.
    Glad to see you active again.
    Roy

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Roy

You must have missed that post because it pretty much explains it all including what Riggs posted above.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle

There are two types of Pressure Regulators. By-Pass and Non By-Pass. Non By-Pass regulators can be found in most hardware stores in the Propane Gas grill section. These are WOG (Water or Gas) Regulators. They can be installed in line and will hold a constant pressure if set lower than the 12V pump cut on pressure.

9. RAlmaroad

from SC

This particular model has a manifold whereby you can leak back into the tank for keeping the pressure fairly close to the desired psig, but I'd like something a little more accurate as when the tank get lower on liquid the pressure fluctuates. The spray tips are weak also (Plastic, gray) and probably not very accurate either. Probably call TeeJet and see what they recommend. I prefer the two jet boom rather than the boomless because of overlap. It's hard for me to see how an even pattern can be had when the jets are about two (2) off the ground and the coverage is 10'. Maybe so, but I'm old school.
    Roy