Atv Seeder Picture

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Daner, May 29, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

This what i use for med to large overseeding jobs

landscape 033 seed spinner.jpg

2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

How do you get the seed down to the soil? Or are you just feeding the birds?

3. Daner

run the core areator first for lawns.
    I also use this for new seeding jobs...and also overseeding hay fields and pastures:)

4. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

cant fit alota seed in there can you? gotta keep refilling it

5. Daner

We throw 50 lb bags of seed on the atv...Its mostly used for pastures

6. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a seeder just like that and I bet over the years I've seeded a few thousand acres of dirt with it, ranging from yards to hayfields. Lots of clover, alfalfa, some fescue (ARGGHHH!!!!) and alot of wheat (sewed with clover in the fall, not for a wheat crop).

Then we have one that is quite a bit larger that mounts on the back of the tractor, but I can do the same amount of seed with the four wheeler since I usually throw 2 50 lb bags on the front rack and 2 more on the back and go back to the truck when I'm completely out. The tractor seeder holds about 200-250lbs of seed so again when I run out I have to go get more.
    Plus the four wheeler on a trailer is much less hassle than loading and unloading a tractor and chaining it down if I have to trailer it somewhere.

7. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Is It The Inexperienced Me Or Does That Thing Look Like An A/c Duct.

8. Birdhunter1

No it's not the inexperience in you, it does look like a duct fiting of some sorts. The reason it is crimped on the to of it is so that the cap for it will sit over it and be on the outside so if it does happen to rain it wil keep the water out of the seed hopper.
    It is cone shaped so te seed will naturally flow to the gate that is located in the center of the bottom of the hopper. Yes most sheetmetal shops could make that hopper.

9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That seeder looks cheap and very small. Looks like an excuse to deduct the ATV as a business expense. :laugh: :laugh:

10. Birdhunter1

While it may be small they are handy, throw a bag or two of seed on the front racks, a bag or two on the back and you can get alot done.

Looking at the pic again the atv spreader we have is a bit ibgger than that one.