Atv use for lawn rolling?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by CK82, Apr 4, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used there atv for landscape work/maintenance. I towed a fertilizer spreader a few times last season and it worked out good. My ZTR's do not have a hitch system like my atv and would not be able to hook up and tow a lawn roller. The only problem I found is that the atv doesnt turn very well (in comparison to a ztr) and when turning the front tires do a number on the lawn. Any knowledge or info would help! Thanks, Chris

2. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

We used an atv to pull around an aerator last fall. It worked ok but like you said it doesn't turn worth a crap. It wasn't too bad since they were large properties though. You should be able to buy or fabricate a hitch for your ztr.

3. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have done it in the past, but I made a hitch for my Z. Sometimes you can order a hitch as an accessory or find on at an online auction. What mower do you have? maybe someone here can find one for you.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i got a big sprayer with a boom on one of mine, i spray some lawns with it, but mostly spray on the farm and hunting roads with it.

5. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I've used a small ATV (4 wheeler) and trailer for mulching for many years. Works great. I replaced the original very knobby tires with non-damaging tires. Keeps from tearing up the grass. I don't see why you couldn't use one for lawn rolling.

6. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Sounds good. I am going to be rolling mainly residentials, I think it will work with the atv, but the tires are agressive trail tires and I have a feeling it will tear things up. I guess its worth a try. On the other hand...I currently have my baggers on both of my ZTR's, so I can't put a hitch accesory on. I could however put one on if it were easy to remove so the bagger would work. I have both Toro's (One older model Z Master and a new model Z500 series I believe). If anyone has any ideas or knowledge of a fabricated hitch I would like to hear it, or if there is a manufacturer who sells them. Thanks!

Chris

7. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

if your gonna use the ATV i would get these tires that are in the link below. I run them on my atv that i use for yard stuff and they work great at not tearing up the lawn and still give you traction. i dont know about the price on the site i just searched them so you could see what they are ...but look around at prices. hope this helps:usflag:

8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

i dont believe in rolling a lawn , its the worst thing you can do , packing that soil down and not letting it breath . The only thing when oit would be ok is if you rolled it and followed right behind with a areator

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I use my Recon on my personal lawn without damage, but I have let the tires go until nearly slick. I dont want to purchase tires because I do like to use it on my lawn and I cannot find a turf tire for my size wheels. They are great for araes with limited space for a full sized truck and pull a garden wagon and a trailer very nicely.