1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guff1972, Jan 6, 2004.

1. guff1972

guff1972 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever used ATV's in there mowing bussiness with a pull behind mower. Not the best question but I was wondering if there could be any use for one or if it is just a waste
  2. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

I've seen them more for spraying.
  3. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I have used a 4-wheeler to pull an aerator.You have be very gentle and it helps to have a wide open space.It's a quick way to aerate a 4 acre lawn.:D
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Only fert. and spraying. Also, used a golf cart for those items plus hauling mulch.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My Grandpa uses one with a mower for ditches and basic stuff like a brush hog but fits in tighter places around the barn and such. I guess if you are looking for a way to write off a 4 wheeler go for it.
  6. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I own 2 4 wheelers. I have used mine for a sprayer. I do not think I would use them on any yards with a pull behind mower. I pulled my friends once. The advantage was the shocks on the 4 wheeler soak up the bumps on rough ground really well. The disadvantage ( and it is a big one ) 4 wheelers and their tires, by design, are very aggresive in traction. It will tear up the turf, BIG TIME when you are turning. And we all try to avoid turf damage at all costs in this business.
  7. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I had a 4 wheeler w/a pull behind finish mower about 7 or 8 years ago to mow my 2 acres. Not a very good set up. It did not mow around trees well. It did not have good power. It was very light weight so if you went to fast it bouced around. It was hard to back up. It did not do well in tight areas.
    I have also used the one that is a bush hog. It does much better.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Guff,

Here is a related product. Click the image for link.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I've never used one but it sounds like some of the problems could be solved easily. Can't back up very well, doesn
    t follow good around trees and bounces. Just make a hitch with two hooking points instead of the one. Just like a three point hitch lawn mower for a bigger tractor. Make all 4 wheels swival so it will back up easier. You can add as much weight as you want also. I still think they would be best of wide open spaces.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

back a few years ago i used to mow this large farm lawn (5-6 acres) and I would do it with a friend. We would use the guys gear. He had a JD tractor with a 60" deck and a 4wheel ATV with a 60" finish mower.

I would almost always use the JD but on occasion i used the 4wheeler. Really was not that good. What you have to realize is that you are MOWING, and that you can only go so fast with an 8hp mower on the back. You really have to pay attention or before you know it your goin 20MPH. Also, very bumpy.. You needed to turn very slowly, brake very slowly and accelerate very slowly-or you would be fishtailing, and burning rubber.

Basically-it can be done-just keep an eye on what your doing and remember you are mowing not racing.