ATV's in business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Mar 21, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

who all uses ATV's in their business? how much do you actually use it? what all do you do with it? any write off's from it? just curious for down the line jobs.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i personally dont have one, but would love one. from what i know and have heard landscapers use them for snow plowing, aerating, dethatching, some use for field/brush mowing, getting around a big jobsite, etc etc

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Ive got a 2001 Honda foreman 450. I use it quite a bit actually. The main reason I got it is for snow removal- I put a moose county plow on it and do sidewalks- the thing makes about $250/hr. I also have used it w/ a tow behind mower that has it's own engine for clearing open lots and brush. I've also used it to drag a fence around to prep for seeding. With a little creativity you can find all kind of uses for it. This year i got a 17 cu/ft trailer for it and im gonna use it to haul brush, trimmings, branches from areas I cant get my truck close too. And yes you can write it off with depreciaition.

4. MikeLT1Z28

i was thinking for hauling a cart or trailer for clean up jobs (limbs, small trees etc.). i saw one today in a neighborhood that had a sprayer mounted on the rear rack. might be helpful for hauling small loads of mulch across big properties too.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

yes very often u will see them with spreaders on them for seed/fertilizer/salt and sprayers also, they are good for doing the mulching like u said also, just make sure u dont overload.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I bought one (Honda Rancher ES) in Dec to use this year for aeravating and aerating. I'm also looking into a topdresser to use with it. Here is a photo of it with the aeravator attached:

[​IMG]

7. MikeLT1Z28

very nice setup Kirby. do you like the electric shift? when i buy one, it will be a honda, gonna go with 4wd. probably stay with the manual shifting though.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirby: Definetly a nice setup!!!!

How fast do you go on the atv while using the aeravator ?

I have an atv, and don`t do as much as I thiught I would with it.
    I don`t like using it for aerating, because of its turning radius. You have to go over so much to get all of the job done. Also if they have circle drives, you have to get off and lift up and on other side get off and drop back down. It does great for snow, but we haven`t had that much in the past years. I just thought I would get more use out of it.

9. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have one. Kawasaki Prairie 400. It is great for the snow. I also use it to pull a seed packer I made. I have also used it as a runabout for various large work projects. I would make one suggestion. If you can afford an automatic, get it. Never have to worry about if you are in the right gear given a load. The one I have is full time 4wd. I wish I could take it out of that when I am on a lawn. I believe the new ones let you do that. Anyway, I like mine much.

Mike

10. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Hmmmm, wonder if I could justify that new Honda VTX as a "business expense?" Hmmmm

Mike