1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ATZ tires for Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Soupy, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

PJ, Will the ATZ tires fit on a 2001 Hustler Z? My Hustler Z is 52" and has 23x 9.00 -12 on it now. I noticed on Hustler website that the Hustler Z now comes with 24x12-12 tires, or is that just for the 60"? I think the bar tires will leave a better cut because the tires Marks won't be as bad. I also like that they don't hold mud like turf tires. I base this on my experience with Dixie Chopper tires.

If they will work, can you tell me what the MSRP is for the tire and rim?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A rim for a 24x12-12 tire is $78.00 + ,at my dealer, and they are on back order.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't that add to the problem of already non-existant trim abilities on a 52" machine? I wouldn't even think it would cut out the tire tracks...
  4. Soupy

Yes, That is one of my concerns. But as for as tire tracks, Dixie Chopper's turf boss tires do not leave tire tracks. I replaced the Turf Boss with a Carlyle (sp?) Bar tire once and they didn't leave tire tracks either. That was the one thing that I miss, But the Hustler out performs the Dixie Chopper in so many other areas. I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds.

Does anyone know of a bar tire that will replace the tires I have now, 23x9.00-12 with out throwing the height of the rear end off?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

I believe the spelling is Carlisle and I believe the tire you speak of is that baloon type chevron tread (bar) AT101. Please note the sizes are 21x11-8, 21x11-10 and 24x12-12. Other harder looking bar tires are available through them in 23x10.5-12.

Anyways, I think there is more to the 'tracking' issue than that. I see other mowers with similar size turf tires that do not track so heavily. Take a look at the tracks in my avatar pic for further visual support of my theory. The machine that produced those tracks has a claimed dry weight in the 800lb range and sports 10" wide turf tires.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

I would also like to pose a general tire & wheel question.

I've been looking forever for a different offset tire and wheel assembly. My wheels are the 10" wheels w/wheel weight holes, like were on the Mini Z and like are still on the standard WB. They are negative offset and I would like a set of centered offset. The wheels are marked CT&W... which I am sure is for Carlisle Tire & Wheel.

So the question is, why all the apparent hush-hush? I can't find these wheels I want to save my life!!! If Hustler puts the centered offset 10" wheel on anything I would gladly run to my dealer, place order for the wheel and pay the mark up if I had a part#....
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Boy, they are sure slow at proof reading my posts and getting them up on this topic. I was by my dealer today, and I think I have good news. I took a hard look at the inside space on a 52" Z (hope you're not meaning a mini). Anyways, there's a good bit of open space between the inside of the tire and frame. I think you might just be able to tuck a 12" wide tire in there without adding much to the track width, provided they give up the secrets so you can get a properly 'spaced' aftermarket wheel and tire assembly. If all else is the same, going to the Hustler wheels for the 60" unit would put you at a 53" rear track width with 12" wide tires. Shaving a bit off that with whatever otherwise available rim spacing you could would sure help.
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler Z and Super Z have always come with the 24 X 12 - 12 tires when a 60" deck is used.
    The smaller tires on your 52" Hustler Z (not Mini Z, if I remember correctly you have a full frame 52") are smaller so the deck is about even with the track of the machine.
    I do believe that the 24" tire and rim off the 60" units will go right on your unit, thus the Carlisle AT-101 will work on your unit, I have seen many users of 60" units put the AT-101 on there stock rims (the rim for a 24" tire is 8.50 instead of 7 on the 52").
    Therefore you could order the stock rim for the 24" tire used on our 60's and put the AT-101 tire on it.
    You would not want to use the rim that is used on the ATZ due to its offset.
    The part # for the rim used on our 60" units is 781252

Hope this helps
  9. Soupy

PJ, I don't know what all the different sizes stand for. I'm thinking that 24" means it is a taller tire, but what about the other 2 numbers? Is the 2nd number the width of the tire? Like Envy mentioned, I don't want to give up what little trim I have on the deck.

Will the rim from the 60" Hustler Z combined with the AT-101 tire cause the tires to stick out further then what I have now?
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Your current tires....
    Tire = 23" Tall x 9.5" Wide - 12" Tall Rim
    Rim = 12" Tall x 7" Wide = 12x7

Tire = 24" Tall x 12" Wide - 12" Tall Rim = 24x12-12
    Rim = 12" Tall x 8.5" Wide = 12x8.5

Your new track width with the wider Hustler rims will be 53" wide
    Your current track width is 52" wide

So yes you are going to gain an inch by doing this unless you can find some rims that are spaced inside more (if they will fit). My advice is go inspect a 60" Hustler Z. See if there is space left between the inside of the tire and frame. If so, then look at the face of the rim and see if you think there may be one made with 1/2" to 1" LESS 'dish'....

Then good luck finding something....
    I have one in mind from another brand, but give me time to check, it may be the exact same rim.