Auction Action........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Mar 13, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Just got back from my "great auction day"..... Drove 325 roundtrip miles to buy nothing..........

Got up at 445 am so excited about getting a nice mower at a nice price, busted butt to get to auction by 730, review equipment in order of needing it:
    1)Exmark hp 44" w 20kohler, 18hrs
    2)Ex Z 60", 27Kawi, 94 hours
    3) Ex Z 60",23 Kohler, 55 hours
    4) Ferris 27Kawi, 60", 41 hours
    5) Scag Cougar, 25 hp, 48", 97 hours

Well the bidding starts, a Toro Z 18 kohler, 44" with only 10hours, and busted hydro pump was sold for $4100.

next came the exmark z 23kohler, it went for $6200!!
    the funny thing is the next 60" exmark with a 27 kawi engine and the same housr went for only $5200!?!?!

Old men buying them to drink beer while they mow their pastures,

They could not get the Scag price above $3500 which I am still kicking myself for, for not bidding on it.

And finally the Exmark HP went for just under $5000 to a couple just coming in to take in the sights,,,

Pissed? Yes, idiots who only bid on something because of the anouncer's antics, idiots who have no idea what they are actually buying got the euipment ahead of everyone else.

To tell you the truth I went up there thinking that I could pay for a machine half of what it cost new, but after seeing the trend of bids I realized I would rather get a brand new machine with the warranty ready to go. One of the machines a Exmark HP 48" looked like it had been dropped off a cliff, from the look of the deck. It was also missing the screw caps to the gas tanks and instead had electrical tape over it. I left before that one was auctioned off....

The lcos were all standing around hoping that the bidding would be under $3000 but you could see after the first couple of rounds that we were screwed.....

Just a little tired and frustrated

probably did not make any sense because I am delirious right now but I feel better after venting, now onto the shower and bed!
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why feed the b i t c h?

You'd be worse off if you overpaid for a lemon.

I hate auctions for that reason.

Auctions are great for SELLERS and AUCTIONEERS!

I believe in supporting a local dealer who will then be around next year when you need advice, repairs, etc. People who live in your community who are your neighbors and pay taxes in your community.

When you buy freight-damaged or repossessed or theft recovery junk at an auction and overpay you are lining the pockets of insurance companies and big-time auction companies, and setting yourself up for potentially higher costs when you account for your travel time, no warranty, etc.

3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

The bad thing about auctions is you not only have to bid against the folks that know what the item is worth, you also have to bid against the folks that don't have a clue what it is worth. Some people get "auction fever" and will not stop bidding till they have the winning bid on the item.
  4. There was a auction around here today, I was interested in a straw blower ,but I was not going to be able to attend. So I knew someone who would be there and told them what to bid at, I did not get it but I didn't have to stand around all day waiting.
  5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Man, I had been wondering through the day how the auction would go, and which mower you were going to end up with.
    Hate it for you, but your so much better off, knowing it's better to get new and with a warranty, then to not be wise enough and get a as/is lemon.

Auction fever....... absolutely right (except I have really only been to auto auctions, and only dealers there, so............deff. no real fever..... and bad if your selling)
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

"Old men buying them to drink beer while they mow their pastures" Ha, some ol men are smart enough not to get up at 4:45am & drive 325 miles round trip to go to an auction becoase they know they can usually buy new FOR AUCTION PRICE lol

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your experience isn't that different from the silliness on Ebay online auctions. I saw a new Echo blower go for $270. Thing is, there were at least two other identical ones offered on ebay with "buy it now" prices of $239!

If you are patient you can find bargains there when the person selling it is inexperienced or semi-literate and misspells the name of it or puts it in the wrong category. I bought a nice mower for $500 because the clown put it under "Ebay Motors".
  8. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

trust me oldhand

I learned my lesson today, never doing that again. Talking to my dealer on Monday about Exmark HP prices.
  9. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

but isn't all this the reason we go to auctions, because some old man might stay home and noone else wants something so just maybe we can get it for a steal....never happened to me though....:D
  10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Never happened to me either, but there is a towing place across the street from me, and they had an auction one raining day, and no one showed up. Sold two Corvettes for 600.00 each. 1 only need rims and tires. Was opened to the public, but I had never even been over there. (a friend that buys there, told me about it a few days later)