Auction value ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MX 158, Jan 28, 2003.

1. MX 158

MX 158 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Could you give me your best guess on the following equipment values & what the average hours should be. I'm thinking about going to this auction Saturday. Thanks!!
    Scag 2001 61" Turf Tiger

2000 61" Turf Tiger

2001 52" Hydro w/b

1999 52" Hydro w/b

Honda 21" push mowers

Thanks a bunch guys, I obviously don't have a clue!
    I'm mainly going to look at a trailer, but I'm liable to come dragging home more if the price is right.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The price is a tough question to answer, not knowing what condition the equipment is in. If the company has gone bankrupt, you might fairly assume that they cut costs on proper equip. maintenance to save money. When I go to an equip. auction, I plane on paying 1/3 of the new cost if the equipment looks well maintained. High hours, poor overall appearance, and evidence of lack of maint will cause me to lower my bid limits.
    Check the oil and air filter of any machine you plan to bid on. They can tell you a lot. And remember, do not get caught up in AUCTION FEVER as we call it here.:D

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A yearly average for hours is probably between 200-400 hours. So ,a 2001 mower could have upwards to 800 hours on it.

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

$1,000 would work out pretty well for you.:D

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I can't speak for most of those items. But the Honda mowers, if they are commercial mowers (it will say "commercial" on the bag) are worth anywhere from $300-$550 depending on which model, what shape they are in, etc.

If the hondas are not commercial grade, I'd maybe pay $100 or $150 and keep it available as a backup mower only for days when one is in the shop. But Honda homeowner models aren't any good for regular use.

A nice Honda HRC216HXA (Hydrostatic) that looks like it hasn't been used too much would be worth easily $500 to me. One with some serious wear (e.g. the tires are bald, bag is worn, deck is majorly scratched up) I'd pay maybe $300 for. But the older you get, the more repairs there are. And you can easily get over $1000 in repairs in one year if you aren't careful. Then, it's just cheaper to buy its new one with a 1 year parts and labor warranty.

If it was a HRC216 2 speed, I'd only pay $300 or $350 for it in good shape.

Hope that helps.