auctions ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc_77, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

there is a auction coming up this week and i was thinking of taking a look .
    im sure alot of people here have been to them . i just wanted to ask ... is all the equipment crap at these things or do they sell some equipment that is actually worth buying ?

im not big on buying any thing used . im not a mechanic i don't know how to fix every thing on a lawn mower.
    im a little skeptical about buying from one of these but if i can get some good equipment for cheap , why not ?

any way i just wanted to hear what yall had to say about them . :)

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I went to my first auction this week. It was a small auction. Four hand held items. They were in good condition. Sold for about 40% of retail. Also a 52 Super Z that had a few problems. Sold for 4600. High in my opintion.

None turf productions sold for low prices.

Go to the auction, check out the items you are interested and set a limit on how high you will go. I did not purchase anything, but it was fun to watch.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I went to my first auction too.. last week. The best thing about it was watching the folks bid against each other for junk. I guess the saying is true.. "one man's junk is another man's treasure."

There were a few select pieces that were nice.. but guess what? That's where the largest crowd was hanging.. waiting for the auctioeer to come around.

This was my experience as far as turf equipment went.

There were tools there too and there was some good deals to be had for those. I won a 29 piece DeWalt drill bit set for $15.. retails for $60 :)

4. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

thx guy's i guess i will check it out... this seems to be a fairly large auction. trucks, trailer's , snow plows and at least 60 - 70 lawn mowers.

maybe i will find a good deal or even better get lucky and win one of the mowers they are giving away :blob3:

5. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

I went to a few two years ago looking for lawn equip. That was my experience too. That along with some of the finer looking pieces magically didnt start! The auctioneer insisted they were running fine -AS THEY WERE DRIVEN TO WHERE THEY SAT- So I suspect some tampering goes on.
    I saw several pieces sell for retail!

Beware too, slick auctioneers will trick you into bidding against your self
    This is a fact. Ohio busted an auction house last year for this!!
    Pay attention, dont go higher than what its worth, find out what things are worth before going, or you'll pay way too much.
    CWG

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When i worked for TGLC in VA we sent out our old equipment to auction twice a year. equipment was older than 3-4 years....when we sent something to auction it was because it had no real useful life left......or repairs were cost prohibitive....Just becasue something won't start isn't the end of the world.....but if you can't see it run, then you have no way of knowing how much it realy is worth.....

as said early, kno wwhat youa re looking for and know what its worth Don;t eb afraid to walk away. Ebay is teh same thing. people will bid crazy on stuf on ebay, when infact you ,might be paying retail for a used item.....

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i went to an auction for a defunct equipment rental shop on thursday. i'd guess there were 500+ landscapers and contractors in attendance. some stuff went way high and much was had for a very good price. i was comfortable buying there as i knew the guy took good care of the equipment and i actually bought 2 pieces that i had previously rented. one amusing thing was there were 3 dethatchers and 2 bluebird bagging "lawn combers" sitting next to each other. i was set on bidding for the comber and heard 2 different guys basically say, "lawn comber? i had hoped that was a dethatcher." they paid $350 or so for the "dethatcher", and i got the very good condition comber, which also can seed, for $100. good thing they didn't realize bluebird calls their dethatcher a "comber".

8. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

that didnt happen to be the big Baker-Boningson Farm&turf auction in Fremont was it?

LOL I have ran some good pieces through there and some junk aswell

and yes some things get tampered with, and as a FYI dont always think that the other person wants to buy the piece your bidding on, you have to be there to run the bid up yourself because they sell things at no reserve, I ran a f-725 threw their line and it was stuck at $1850 so I ***** the guy up to $3500 and I was happy and stopped (FMV)

reason for Edit:

derogetory word directed at a particular group of people

9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Doc 77,
    is the one you speak of by any chance the one at Halloran Power?
    I went last year, and the good thing was they also auction off new equipment as well. They're a great dealer, and have a lot of specials besides the open house as well. I'd say it's worth going, unless of course it finally warms up and we can get working!

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You bid on an item that you put up for sale? Isn't that called shilling or something? Behaviour like that is what gives auctions a bad name.
    Crawdad