1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aug. & Sept. Watch Out For Wasps...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by powerreel, Aug 13, 2001.

1. powerreel

powerreel Banned

They'll be makin' nests so be alert.
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Not exactly the kinda buzz I'm looing for.....LOL
  3. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

Yes I know, already found them, well rather they found me. Ouch!!!
  4. cut4U

cut4U LawnSite Member

not only wasps but watch for yellow jackets...i got stung 19 times while mowing sunday...im illergic but luckily im ok...watch out!
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have found nests and 3 out of 5 houses i maintain! It seem like most houses this year have 2 or 3 if they have any!
  6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

your right .the last 2 days. i would open sliding door on pole barn and there would be 20 or so . got some old spray and shot there nest when it got dark. they are on it then. and about 30 fell out.
    dead in a couple seconds.
  7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yea I found some Yellowjackets on Thurs. The dang things, ya can't see the nests being that they are underground.

Well I was mowing along a cement retaining wall when I felt the first stings, (of course I was in a tight area so the metro was in 3rd gear). Well you can't get away very fast in 3rd so as I tried to stop the mower (oh I was on a hill also) and swat them off my legs the mower spun around, through a small landscape and hit a tree.

well at least I was able to run then.

I was ok till the next morning. Had 10 stings on one leg and 5 on the other(all below the knee). My foot swelled up so bad I couldn't get my shoe on. I swell up pretty bad from stings.

Well on Fri with my bulging foot and the fire on my legs I went to see the doc. He put me on double dose Allegra for 3 days. MAN that worked wonders. The swelling was almost gone by Sat night. I have always taken benadryl after being stung he said that was good but not as powerful as Allegra. I guess next time I will get some quicker. :D
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

cut4u wrote:
    not only wasps but watch for yellow jackets...

A Yellowjacket is a wasp.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

It seems that I can't get near a pear or apple tree without dodging the red wasps! I guess they like minced fruit? heheh

I got stung a couple of weeks ago by a red wasp while trimming around a 'metal pipe' clothsline pole. They had built their nest inside of it and apparantly did not care for me whipping the pole with the string trimmer...still have a hard spot on my jaw from that one. :eek:

They are everywhere in my neck of the woods. :(
  10. dhicks

dhicks Member

I got nailed by yellow jackets a few weeks ago. I was trying to get away from them and accidently threw a $260.00 string trimmer into the next yard. Kawasaki trimmers are great at what they do but they don't fly worth a damn.